Public transportation in Kyrgyzstan

Hi all,

What do you think about the means of transportation in Kyrgyzstan ?

Is the network of means of transportation well developed? What modes of transport are available?

Do you use them?

How much is a fare?

Are they relatively safe?

What is the mean of transportation you use the most in Kyrgyzstan?

Thanks in advance for participating!

We use buses or trolley buses the most. During the winter we used taxis a bit - coming from a hot country we found the slippery ice quite a challenge.

Fares a bus 6 com
      a trolley bus 5 com
      a taxi 70 - 100 com
      a mashrutka (minibus) 8 com (We find these a bit of a challenge and not worth the effort.)

We use the first two mostly.

Safe? From a personal perspective certainly - anyone from old ladies to single women or families with children can feel secure. From a road safety perspective? Today the bus driver changed lanes, took our fares and moved over to drop us off, all while using his hand held mobile phone. But we got off safe and sound. Safety is all relative, isn't it?

There isn't a schedule for any of the public transport - just wait till something arrives! You learn to factor that into a journey.

But coming from a country where public transport is virtually unusable - this is a pleasure. We can get from A to B with relative ease and we are enjoying our time in Kyrgyzstan.

Thanks for your contribution teacherteacherok!;)

Harmonie.

Now price for bus and trolleybus is 8 soms
For minibus is 10 soms, after 21.00 12 soms
From Osh bazar or others places to Dordoi bazar 17 soms
Taxi charge from 70 till 200 soms in the city.
Bike rental 500 soms per day (Active Sector, Ogonbaeva 93 or Nomad's Land tourism company)

Thank you for your help borjom73! ;)

Aurélie

Can anyone suggest a taxi company where I can request a taxi online? Since my Russian is poor, this would be very helpful.

I think that Taxi Manas which is based at airport could answer in english.

You may also keep the mobile number of taxis you like or with whom you can speak in English.
If you want to go to mountain side with English speaker driver, you may contact Azamat 0312 564733.

There is a new website: bus.kg that shows all the marshrutka, bus and trolleybus routes! Also possible to download it as app! It's for free and very useful. In English, Russian and Kyrgyz language.