Living on San Pedro

hello all, I may be relocating to the San Pedro area soon to start a job there. I am wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what a humble cost of living there might be and advice to find a 1-2 bedroom house/flat that would allow dogs.
I am looking in the $700-800 Bz range.

~ thank you!
Belizeplease

Hi Belizeplease!

Maybe that other members will give some tips to you soon.

For accommodation, you should post an advert in Belize classifieds.

It may help,
Harmonie.:)

Hi Belizeplease.  I think you're budgeting way too low for the island.  Even the local workers pay about $275 bze ($137.50 us) a week for their humble accomodations.  The lowest rents are in the outlying neighborhoods where the locals live, or directly in town.  You'll need to budget more like $1100 bze minimum, and then not be fussy about where and amenities to stay in in this price range.

When I lived in San Pedro, my little 2 bedroom/1 bath house up North on the lagoon cost $2000 bze, just to give you an idea.  Good luck! Sharon Hiebing

Sharon
Things must have reallly changed since you lived there. We rented a 1800 square feet Condo just north of the Bridge for 2000.00 BZ a month. I see ads on shorelinesolutionsbz.com for 500 dollars. It is best to get temporary housing and then ask around. Lots of places get rented without ever being advertised.

Surendra

No, Surendra, I don't think things haven't changed that much at all.  If you look on the website you just referenced, besides the one bedroom "shack" for $900 bze, the lowest priced rental was $600 usd ($1200 bze).  Most, however, were in the $800-1200 usd ($1600 - 2400 bze) range.  What I said above was Belizeplease should budget about $11100 bze for a rental.  Your website proves my point.

I gave my rental home as an example, not an absolute.  I'm sure you can find all different variations of rentals (homes, condos, big, small), but the bottom line is they will more than likely run you at least $1100, if not more.  Also, you were probably renting a vacation rental, not a permanent home, and pricing for those can be dictated by high and low season and if the establishment wants to offer to deals to get business.  Belizeplease is looking for a permanent home, so it's a bit different.

But it sounds like you got a good deal - maybe you should share where that was so others can look them up if they ever stay there, lol!  Hope you understand what I was trying to say now.  Thanks!