International health insurance

This may be posted already but I couldn't find it. I'm looking at getting health insurance to hopefully help with my prescriptions white I'm going thru the visa process. If you have any recommendations I'd appreciate hearing about them. Feel free to PM me as well.    TIA in

Hello Ziminar,

Till members provide their recommandations, try to contact our partners for free quotes : Your expat health insurance in Costa Rica in just a few clicks

All the best

Bhavna

Hola Ziminar,

It is my understanding that one can't get private insurance in CR until they have residency. I use INS but other private insurers may have other options.

One thing that I highly recommend is MediSmart with Hospital Metropolitano (Sam Jose and Lindora). It is about $150 per year for the first person and less for the second person on the same account. It covers doctor appointments with their doctors and the discounts are about 10% to 80% depending on the type of doctor. Example, my Internal Medicine doctor normally charges about $110 for an appointment but I pay about $22. It covers everything from basic doctor appointments to colonoscopies, X-Ray and everything except major surgeries. To answer your direct question about medicines … there is also a discount on those as well as blood, urine and other tests.

I have INS and MediSmart …. INS requires lots of paperwork and I'd just rather pay the MediSmart fee for simple appointments and procedures rather than going through the “drill” with INS. Big stuff - INS for sure.

MediSmart appointments are made directly online and easy.

Take a look at their website (English and Spanish) for more info and how to join.

Hope this helps !

We are covered by a medical care insurance policy issued by Redbridge and represented in CR by Perfect Circle. We're CR citizens, but the Perfect Circle staff can advise you about what restrictions Redbridge may impose.