Can I have a contractor examine the apartment prior to purchase?

In the US, it's typical to have a contractor to examine a house before you buy it, to check for any structural issues. We're looking at buying an apartment in Istanbul. In Istabul, is this something buyers do as well? I'm concerned of course with structural integrity (water damage, earthquake risk) and want someone who knows more than I do give the apartment a look.

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Hello sympathetic crustacean,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f601.svg

That is an interesting question you've asked here.

Please note that I have moved your thread to the Istanbul forum for better exposure.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@sympathetic crustacean If you are applying for a loan, the bank usually sends an expert to check out the property (to see if that house is worth the money, in case you cannot pay). However, if you are buying 100% cash, you can also find a real estate evaluator to check out the property. There are many companies.

You can simply state this during the sales negotiations. I would also suggest you to not to completely rely on real estate brokers and have a lawyer look up to the title of the property to make sure about legal risks.

Selam Ahmet, I was wondering less about the TAPU or things of this nature, and more about the structural integrity of the building itself.

@sympathetic crustacean Then a real estate evaluation company would be enough for you. The real estate evaluator must be licenced by "SPK". I would ask them about this before doing business if I were you. Hope everything works out for you at your new home 1f64b.svg

@sympathetic crustacean It is not "normal" to have an expert inspectation before buying a flat in Turkey. The buyers themselves can roughly determine the value and the problems of the house. It's not possible to determine the faults of the house only through the documents. Buyer should check even if it gets daylight, if the ground is safe for the earthquake risk, if the windows, hardwood soid etc. it should be checked before buying a house.

My advice to you is to get support from a lawyer before buying a house in Turkey.

There is nothing wrong at all with getting someone to come inspect the apartment, or house before you buy it in Turkey. If they have a problem with it then move onto the next one because then its possible they are hiding something that they don't want you to know about.

Or simply don't tell them its an inspector, and tell them its your friend, and you want to come with him to look at the apartment before you buy it.

There is nothing wrong in doing that, i helped clients before because their inability to know what's in it for them,you can dm and i can give you his contracts to help you understand what dangers might lurk around in buying that property. C