Parcels to Costa Rica

If someone sends you a package from the US or Canada (e.g. mobile phone, etc.), will it be subject to customs taxes or in danger to get stolen while in CR?

I know that packages from Amazon do arrive here but are subject to heavy duties. How about a personal package? It may contain a new or used item.

If you go through the formal import process, you will be liable for not only the freight charges but also import duty and sales tax. The freight forwarders (read: Aeropost, Liberty and the Correo) may tack on additional administrative fees, fuel charges, etc.

I once imported a small plastic disk to which to mount a GPS on the dashboard of my car. It was free from Garmin and they paid the shipping to Aeropost in Florida. Costa Rica Customs wouldn't release this thing until I declared a value (remember, it was free) and paid the taxes they imposed. If you were importing a collection of family photos, you'd likely have to pay taxes on those, too.

See the discussion of "importing pet food" above.

@daveandmarcia thank you. I am waiting for packade/letter with new credit cards sent by my friend. Hope it'll arrive to correo and I'll get it without major pain (if this even possible here).

Aeropost says they won't ship credit cards, but some do seem to get through.

I've heard that you can get them to carry your cards this way. First, ask the card issuer to ship the cards to a trusted friend or relative in the States. Then have that person put the bare caards between the pages of a “throwaway “ book and send the book here. You'll still have to pay all the taxes, etc, so it might be good to have a receipt for the book.

@daveandmarcia i get them from the friend in Canada in a letter I guess. A book? Good idea, I'll use it if they dont arrive. Thank you.

I had my friend send my credit cards by DHL from Canada as documents,  Not cheap - $125 - but it arrived within a few days no problem.

Just got my credit cards to tbe local correo by Canada Post. Two and a half weeks. You have to check the tracking #, as they won't inform you.