Filing Tax Return for Costa Rica Corporations

A tax person informed me that I am suppose to file an annual U.S. tax return for the CR corporation that I have my house and car in.  I'd never heard this prior to now.  Does anyone else do this or heard of this?  Thanks.

- Expat Dave

Yes, even if you have no income from the property, forms must be filed declaring the "stock shares" that you own in a foreign corporation.  IRS Form 5471 is used for this purpose in conjunction with Form 8938.  There is no additional tax if no income, just a reporting requirement.

Thanks Redbeard!

redbeard wrote:

Yes, even if you have no income from the property, forms must be filed declaring the "stock shares" that you own in a foreign corporation.  IRS Form 5471 is used for this purpose in conjunction with Form 8938.  There is no additional tax if no income, just a reporting requirement.

Do you have a tax person that you use that you can recommend?  The person I am speaking with is saying $600 to correct the past years of not filing, etc.  Seems extremely high to me considering there's income to contend with.

Thanks,
- Expat Dave