Rent a flat or a house in Macedonia

Finding a place to live is a priority when settling in Macedonia. Your experience will be of a great help for the members who want to settle in Macedonia.

Therefore, we have prepared some questions for you:

Which kinds of accommodation are available in Macedonia?

Is it hard to find a flat or a house for rent in Macedonia?

How to find a home in Macedonia: classifieds, real estate portals, real estate agencies?

How much is the rental for a house, an apartment?

What are the formalities or the required documents for renting an accommodation?

Which advice would you give?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Hello
You could rent anything you wont, from single bed room to luxury apartments and villa's it depends from your taste and pocket of course:)There are lot of real estate agencies which could offer anything you ask for.Here are some web's:
adriatik93.com.mk; level7.mk; realestate.com.mk/; domikestate.com/;
zikol.com.mk/EN/RealEstate/Aboutus/default.htm;
elinor.com.mk; imoti.com.mk
Advice...always negotiate about price with real estate agent.

Hi ViktorMK!

Thanks for your help ;)

Armand

Which kinds of accommodation are available in Macedonia?

From shed to Mansion and everything in between.

Very easy to find somewhere appropriate to every pocket and requirement.

How to find a home in Macedonia: classifieds, real estate portals, real estate agencies?

I would say a local contact is best in most cases.  Not all properties find thier way on to the internet and if they do, not on an English speaking site so if you dont speak Macedonian, it will never show up on your search.   

If you dont have a trusted local contact the main agencies are a good place to start.

How much is the rental for a house, an apartment?

The cheapest and best value rent in any European country I have been in.
A reasonable apartment in Skopje is around 400 Euros per month for something serviceable.  A very nice house in Ohrid with a pool, many bedrooms and views over the city is between 1000-1500 Euros pet month.   Most of my friends who come over prefer to rent a property when here rather than stay in a hotel as they sometimes come for 3 or 4 weeks at a time.

What are the formalities or the required documents for renting an accommodation?

ID / Passport and deposit. 

Hunt around and if at all possible, get a trusted local friend, colleague or contact to help you find somewhere.

In Skopje it is easy to find an apartment, but it is not so easy to find out a house. The offer is not wide and embassies/consulates provide a high demand.

1 - Bargain. If you are a foreigner the starting price will be usually high (of course there are exceptions, but this is quite a rule).
2 - If possible avoid the city centre: it is very polluted.
3 - Clarify who will be liable for the personal income tax due for the rent. If a legal entity is going to pay for your accomodation, it shall pay the personal income tax on the behalf of the landlord (10% of the gross rent).
4 - Check always if the landlord is the legal owner. Many apartments and houses in Macedonia are under legalization procedure, and you can experience some problems with your staying permit if your accomodation is not legalized/under legalization.

Thank you very much alekc78! :)

Arioch13 wrote:

A reasonable apartment in Skopje is around 400 Euros per month for something serviceable.

400 Euros is way too much for Skopje. If you pay more than 250, you most likely are paying too much.

Trust me, I've spent 5 years in college, where I met a ton of friends that weren't from Skopje and I have visited most of the apartments they were renting. No one has told me that they paid more than 240 euro. Thats the highest number I've heard.

So after talking to more than 30 people that rented apartments here, the numbers I've heard were from 180-240 euro a month for 50-70 square feet apartments.

Most were in the following areas, Aerodrom, Centar, Karpos, Kisela Voda. All were very decent, not exclusive flats or anything but nice and as you say serviceable.

Hello Sanumen and welcome to Expat.com!

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Aurélie

Agreed.  Of course it depends on the area and what you consider appropriate to your needs.  I was thinking more of the Vodna area or somewhere central.

Most of my mates tend to stay in the centre or around Vodna so this is the area I know.

I am aware the the further out you go from there the more reasonable it gets.  I know some students that pay 100 euros but its a bout 20/30 minutes to the centre.  Still seviceable but some might say spartan.

I dont think I have seen a 33 Metre apartment here.  I noticed most of the apartments seem pretty large if you compare with Paris or London etc.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

@ iselectu > I suggest you to post your request in the Rooms for rent in Macedonia please.

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

Hi !
I'm just coming on this website so I don't know if it is the good place for my subject...

Anyway..  I'm planning a movie about Balkan traditional music since a bit less than 1 year. I travelled during two month last year but for the next travel I'll need a rent...

In brief, I wish rent a flat in Skopje for only 2 month this summer (the best place in the middle of Bosnia, Serbia and Bulgaria). But I only find tourist rent who's really expensive, like 200€ a week... And I plan my budget around 500€ for the 2 month. People there say to me that it was possible, ok, but I find nothing on internet. The agences refuse 'cause 2 month is too short for them...

So... I would like to know where should I find more information. Pleeeeease....

Hello Arnaud Lanouiller,

Feel free to post your advert in the Flats for rent in Macedonia with details of the accommodation you are looking for might be of great help. Thank you! :)

Regards,

David.

Yes, it may be the best idea !! :)
Thank's !

İ want to rent flat un macedonia. Which city is the best for living( rental price, etc..) ? Thanks for your answer whoever yolu are.