Land ownership changes?

It appears Thailand is changing their laws to allow qualified foreign expats to own land without a spouse.  Anyone know if Philippines will follow?  I am tempted to relocate but I am waiting to learn more on inheritance laws there.

@wrevans02 what does qualified mean?

Good question sekmet. I doubt very much the Philippines will change their foreign land ownership laws anytime in the next 100 years. Seems they can't sort out annulments nor divorce, bureaucratic over inefficiencies and don't talk to me about voice mail that other countries have had for 30 or 40 years.

To the OP. As a foreigner to PH you can't own land, sure you can buy a condo at 40% foreign ownership but not the land it sits on. Leases and companies aside you can't own either, only a minority portion.

Inheritance law in PH. it's advisable to keep the bulk of your assets and cash in your home country and simply feed here what you need.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

You have to realise that all these laws that restrict foreign ownership are not aimed at the typical foreigner who settles here in the Philippines and wants to build a house, these laws are designed to prevent large western companies investing in Philippines. the Filipino government are not against foreign companies investing in the Philippines per se, they only against foreign companies coming here, setting up businesses that the big Filipino businesses, ie SM, Giasano, etc etc cannot compete with because they are so inefficient.

You may think that the Philippines is already opened up to foreign businesses because you see companies like MDonalds, Kentucky Fried Chicken etc etc, but these are only franchisees, owned and run by Filipinos. The Philippines government and the 4 big families that control everything here in the Philippines are terrified of the likes of Walmart ect getting a foothold here because they can't stand the competition. Any western company wanting to invest here in the Philippine would want to own the land where they built, a store, a factory etc etc and they would want to come here and select an train their own employees, so just the fact that they can't own land puts the kibosh on any plans for investment they may have had.

@wrevans02 no

Hello Icdrshi,

Could you please give us more details?

This will help the OP to understand better.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

You have to realise that all these laws that restrict foreign ownership are not aimed at the typical foreigner who settles here in the Philippines and wants to build a house, these laws are designed to prevent large western companies investing in Philippines. the Filipino government are not against foreign companies investing in the Philippines per se, they only against foreign companies coming here, setting up businesses that the big Filipino businesses, ie SM, Giasano, etc etc cannot compete with because they are so inefficient.
You may think that the Philippines is already opened up to foreign businesses because you see companies like MDonalds, Kentucky Fried Chicken etc etc, but these are only franchisees, owned and run by Filipinos. The Philippines government and the 4 big families that control everything here in the Philippines are terrified of the likes of Walmart ect getting a foothold here because they can't stand the competition. Any western company wanting to invest here in the Philippine would want to own the land where they built, a store, a factory etc etc and they would want to come here and select an train their own employees, so just the fact that they can't own land puts the kibosh on any plans for investment they may have had.
-@FindlayMacD

Many countries in the region have similar laws. The solution would be for Western countries like the US to have a reciprocal policy that prohibits Filipinos, as the case in point, to purchase US property . That would be an extremely fair policy and allow the people of the discriminating country to decide if they really want to discriminate on land ownership when it becomes clear that their relatives in the US can no longer own a house and lot until they allow American etc.  the same privileges in their home countries. I cannot understand why this has not been our policy decades ago. I think a conservative administration in the US might eventually equalize the situation with enough pressure from expat voters. At least it would be worth a try, to start the conversation.

@danfinn Seriously doubt it will Happen with a Conservative administration... and with the current liberal administration.... not in a million years. 

It is very easy for Filipinos to become US dual citizens, and very difficult for Americans to become citizens of the Philippines, so it will not be anywhere near equal opportunities .

@danfinn Seriously doubt it will Happen with a Conservative administration... and with the current liberal administration.... not in a million years.
-@Wellsfry

The reason nothing is happening is that there is not even a conversation about it and Americans do not know that their citizens overseas are getting screwed. America Firsters would not like this if they knew about it; they actually relish reciprocating arrogant and unfair play.

-@Wellsfry
The reason nothing is happening is that there is not even a conversation about it and Americans do not know that their citizens overseas are getting screwed. America Firsters would not like this if they knew about it; they actually relish reciprocating arrogant and unfair play.
-@danfinn

Err....I'm in the "me too being screwed" movement.

1f923.svg

@manwonder1f602.svg

@lcdrski I believe it is based on your income level or specialty skills you can offer in the country.  There may have been a couple of others like investing.  I don't recall the details but I intend to research it further.

@wrevans02, i understand this decision of "no ownership of land for foreigner".

If they would open for that, land would become very expensive soon, because of many foreigners/foreign companies (dole) would buy lot land, and most of the filippinos would have no chance to buy any land anymore.

I come from tourism aeria, Tyrol in Austria. Many rich people try with lot law tricks to buy land, also get. And so land became very expensive, to build house or buy apartments too. Difficult for many tyroleans.

If land would be free for sale to foreigners, filippinos would be soon like "strangers in own country".

-@FindlayMacD

Foreigners can own whole buildings and can lease land 25 + 25 years. Normaly are business assets written off much faster than that, but perhaps they dont want to build up something, which can be forced to end after 50 years.

Much biger problems are (except export businesses) foreigners  :

/cant own more than 40%

/can have max 40 % of the votes

/cant be neither CEO, chairman or any of the other key positions in board

/knowledge arent allowed to the dominating!!! (It took me years to find a Filipino, who had enough knowledge to make my compleeting knowledge to not be dominating...)

(But after years of Phil laws studying, I have found solution so Filipinos cant screw up by changing to much   :)