US citizens in Russia at the moment

Hi all, 

My girlfriend lives in St Petersburg and I'm a US citizen thinking about coming to live with her until she can get a Visa to the US, which could take awhile, given the current political climate.

The US Embassy Moscow warns that foreigners, especially male US citizens, are being targeted by local authorities, for arrest /detention.  This report is the only thing giving me pause about coming to be with my girlfriend.

Does anyone have an insight to the validity of this report?  Is it political propaganda on the part of the US government, or is there some truth to it? 

thanks very much, Jeff

I can find instances of US citizens getting arrest whilst taking part in demos

Another seems to be drugs related and before the Ukraine thing

https://ru.usembassy.gov/security-alert … in-russia/

That's the best so far - However, I would not suggest entering Russia but rather meet in a third country.

Politicians commonly use ordinary people as pawns in a game of international chess, and that makes your trip potentially dangerous.

THank you Fred. Are you in Russia currently?  If yes, which city? 

thank you

Nowhere near Russia at the moment and staying away - That also applies to the US

If you don't do anything wrong there is no reason why you would be arrested. Notwithstanding the negative attitude of most of the US press and political establishment, Russia is still a pretty safe place to live.

I am in the exact same boat ja827.... I don't know what to do.

Please read message

Security Alert for U.S. Citizens in Russia

U.S. Embassy Moscow, Russia (September 27, 2022)

Event:  On September 21, the Russian government began a mobilization of its citizens to the armed forces in support of its invasion of Ukraine.  Russia may refuse to acknowledge dual nationals' U.S. citizenship, deny their access to U.S. consular assistance, prevent their departure from Russia, and conscript dual nationals for military service. 

Commercial flight options are extremely limited at present and are often unavailable on short notice.  Overland routes by car and bus are still open.  If you wish to depart Russia, you should make independent arrangements as soon as possible.  The U.S. Embassy has severe limitations on its ability to assist U.S. citizens, and conditions, including transportation options, may suddenly become even more limited.

U.S. citizens should not travel to Russia and those residing or travelling in Russia should depart Russia immediately while limited commercial travel options remain.  The Department of State provides information on commercial travel on the Information for U.S. Citizens in Russia – Travel Options Out of Russia page on travel.state.gov.  This site also provides information on requirements for entering neighboring countries, procedures for travel on expired U.S. passports in some circumstances, and visa requirements for families with American and Russian citizen family members.

We remind U.S. citizens that the right to peaceful assembly and freedom of expression are not guaranteed in Russia.  Avoid all political or social protests and do not photograph security personnel at these events.  Russian authorities have arrested U.S. citizens who have participated in demonstrations.

@ja827 I don't understand how any none-related civilian person can think that he can be arrested in Russia (US case) or anywhere else such as (Sudan with South Sudan, Indian and Pakistan and the list goes on) if you're not involved in anything (and you know you best) there is no one interested first place to arrest you. The rest is the common things that happens to everyone.

THANK YOU, Everyone. Really  appreciate your input. Haven't been to Russia previously and do not know what to expect, especially with the current political/military circumstances. Given the nature of the 'bought n paid for' propaganda experts which are the US media, they are likely sensationalizing the information about US citizens in Russia.

Will likely take a chance and just be sure to follow all local laws, along with being in the company of a Russian citizen at all times. Hotels in St Petersburg I've contacted recently said they've had no issues with their foreign guests, including Americans. 

Please read message
Security Alert for U.S. Citizens in Russia
U.S. Embassy Moscow, Russia (September 27, 2022)
Event: On September 21, the Russian government began a mobilization of its citizens to the armed forces in support of its invasion of Ukraine. Russia may refuse to acknowledge dual nationals' U.S. citizenship, deny their access to U.S. consular assistance, prevent their departure from Russia, and conscript dual nationals for military service.
[email protected]

.... and the big deal is?

If you are a citizen of any country, you might well be called up for military service. The US embassy warning is rubbish that consists of words twisted for propaganda use, not an actual warning worth listening to.

I suppose a citizenship of convenience is fine, but it could have a downside or two.