Renting apartment in Malta

Hey! So I have the chance to move down to Malta for work, but I don't know anything about the process of renting an apartment. So what I was wondering is I read on a website that you pay a deposit before moving in, and then pay the rent the same month? Another site told me that you had to pay three rents beforehand as well. So what's most common in Malta? And my second question is, the deposit is it equivalent to a months rent?

I also have another questions regarding renting agencies, which are the more reliable? And which should I look out for?

Welcome to the forum. When it comes to renting a flat you can talk to the numerous real estate agents, which you will find in the Yellow pages directory  or advertise a rental request in one of the Maltese newspapers. The best idea is to read what is offered and compare prices. One mistake people often make is to reveal what their budget is. Flat owners who offered their place originally for 800 are happy to rent out a flat when you say your budget is 900. The most popular newspaper over here is the Times of Malta. By the way did you ask your potential employer to advise you about accommodation?

Thank you! I appreciate the help and I will do that!:) yes my potential employer told me that he was going to help me with that during next week. I just wanted to find some information for myself as well, just so that I could be as prepaid as needed.

This is the housing authority, they regulate rental agreements in all residentual properties. They have a lot of information on their site.

https://rentregistration.mt/the-rental-contract/

https://nmgroup.mt/news/how-will-maltas … ffect-you/

When searching for information be sure you read information published after 2021 as there was a large reform.

Generally yes 1 month deposit, 1/2 month fee for the agent, 1 month ahead.

@volcane Thank you so much for your help, I'll be sure to take a look on the site you posted☺️

Facebook marketplace and groups are best for finding apartments. Can also try the websites of the agencies themselves. However, be aware that you will come across many advertised properties that are actually no longer available so it can be a bit frustrating. Newspapers nowadays contain very few adverts for rental properties.

Good luck with the search.....and with getting your deposit back when you leave the apartment :):)