Canadian citizen applying for Spanish citizenship dual

Since Spain does not allow dual citizenship from Canada can one still technically keep their Canadian citizenship? At the citizenship application one must swear and denounce their previous citizenship. However even though one formally denounces their Canadian citizenship during the application process would one assume that there would be no record in Canada of such a denunciation?

Am I correct on this assumption that one can still keep their Canadian citizenship while denouncing it during the Spanish citizenship process?
Different countries have different requirements for proving that you've renounced. I believe that you have to go to the Canadian consulate and file papers renouncing citizenship and then bring those with you when you swear in.

@linsaywv I'll reply via PM.

@eesworthy hi, from what I understood was that during the Spanish citizenship one simply renounces their present citizenship. Are you sure one would have to first go through the process of renouncing their with the Canadian government and then bring a record to the Spanish consulate?

Apparently to renounce your citizenship in Canada there are fees and a lot of paperwork to fill out.
I don't have any reference to the official requirement, but I have read that one has 3 years in which to renounce their other citizenship. Which makes sense. 
1) If you were attempting to obtain Spanish citizenship, renounced your Canadian citizenship before hand, then there was a glitch:  You would be stateless.
2) Depending on country, renouncing citizenship is not a one day procedure, it can take some time.  During that time your citizenship status is in a gray area.

Other's have commented, here and elsewhere, that it is a legal requirement that many people ignore.  It would appear that it's not something that Spain applies a lot of compliance to. 

"However":  if you are wanting to obtain Spanish citizenship, but do NOT want to renounce your Canadian citizenship:  Maybe your should rethink why it is that you are wanting Spanish citizenship.

Good luck and regards
It does no matter if you renounce at your Canadian Citizen ship it does not take your citizen ship from you. My sons are from Us and were in the same situation and I called the Embassy, they said it didn't matter only your own country can take your citizenship, and I am not sure about that.

Wha you will need to do is pass a B1 Spanish level. I am a teacher I do private tutoring online and prepare you for the exam if you want, i have all the materials needed. I have preparé many other people with good result, besides you can get around on your day to day and communicate betters and get to know the            Spanish culture or meet new friends many times before. I am bilingual because I was born in Toledo Castilla, but lived in California and London for about 20 years.
You can send me a message through here or to my email, novaluck@gmail.com
You should call the embassy and tell them, it may be different from other countries

@linsaywv

i have dual citizenship US and France.

if you renounce your canadien citizenship you must forfeit the actual passport after the renonciation since dual citizenship is not allowed.  You aren't allowed physically or any other way to keep your canadien passport after the renonciation.

@linsaywv

In the same situation as you but the other way around.

I have just applied for my Canadian citizenship without even knowing the dual between Spain and Canada wasn't allowed.

Could you please PM me with some info if you got any?

A little worried at the moment.

Thank you!

@Phalyx

Not the same at all, as the other way round! :-)

You are (I think) Spanish, so the issue is whether Canada allows dual citizenship, and I think they do.

@gwynj

Good morning, my name is Manuel, I work for a company that provides legal, financial and immigration advice for non-residents who come to Spain to buy a home. We are looking for people who can collaborate with us. it may interest you?

I understand is that when you get to the point where you have to renounce your Canadian citizenship and take on the Spanish citizenship it is only a formality a gesture. Canadian government would not know that you have gone through this formality. There is no communication between the Embassy and the government telling them that you denounced your citizenship. To denounce your Canadian citizenship you need to fill out a form pay money and then wait for the results it is a lot more involved than just simply getting citizenship from somewhere else.

@Rextravis

never heard that you have to give them or forfeit your present passport. Where have you heard that?

When you apply for citizenship in Spain and you already have Canadian citizenship they make you put your hand up and swear to the king of Spain, it's a formality.

I don't think that they ask you for your passport unless you know something I don't

@eesworthy it's difficult to renounce your Canadian  citizenship. One has to pay a fee fill out forms and then apply. I haven't heard about going to the consulate and giving up your passport.

@Rextravis are you sure about that procedure. I haven't heard about that. I heard that the renunciation of your citizenship it's just a formality that often people do that by keeping both passports and travelling back-and-forth without a problem

@eesworthy

This can't be the case, as it would effectively leave you stateless! And if Spain then decided not to grant you citizenship, you would be in deep do-do. :-)

So, in practical terms, Country B (e.g. Spain) can't force you to give up citizenship of Country A (e.g. Canada) prior to taking up citizenship of Country B. And, typically, Country A does NOT automatically strip you of your citizenship just because you acquired citizenship of Country B (or because you swore to renounce your citizenship of Country A, as part of the formal process for gaining citizenship of Country B).

You are required to swear to your allegiance to Spain, and your renunciation of your other citizenship(s). And, obviously, Spain expects you (subsequent to gaining your Spanish citizenship/passport) to follow through with your oath, and go to the appropriate Canadian department/embassy, and relinquish your Canadian citizenship/passport. What happens if you do the first, but not the second? I have no idea. Maybe it's a big deal, maybe it's no big deal. You'd have to do more research... or speak to an immigration attorney who deals with second passport applications.

I decided against getting Spanish citizenship for this reason, but I'm sure there are plenty of folks who went ahead with it, on the basis that it's "just a formality".

There are other EU countries which allow dual citizenship... and an EU Permanent Residence is, in my opinion, only marginally less useful than an EU passport (and much easier to get).