BDO Short of Bills?

Last week I sent my son to BDO to withdraw 10,000 php. I asked him to get some smaller bills other than all 1,000 php bills. He came home with  (100) 100 php bills. They did not have any 500 php bills.

Today I sent him to withdraw 10,000 php, again I asked him to get smaller bills, he came home with (9) 1,000 php bills and (2) 500 php bills.

He said they only had (2) 500 php bills and did not have any 100 php bills. He said they did have 20 php bills.

That's like going to Jollibee's and getting a Burger because they do not have any Chicken.

At what time did your son go to the bank?

If I need smaller bills, I send my assistant to encash checks / withdraw from our nearest bank branch at 11am or later, because it has a better assortment of bills later in the day (maybe coming from depositors or an armored car delivery).  I don't know though if this is the same for all bank branches.

Perhaps try going to the bank later in the day to get the denominations you want.

Fil-Am Mom wrote:

At what time did your son go to the bank?

If I need smaller bills, I send my assistant to encash checks / withdraw from our nearest bank branch at 11am or later, because it has a better assortment of bills later in the day (maybe coming from depositors or an armored car delivery).  I don't know though if this is the same for all bank branches.

Perhaps try going to the bank later in the day to get the denominations you want.

I really don't know what time he visits, I just give him the debit card and tell him if he is near BDO and there is no hurry, sometimes even the next day.

I really never gave it too much thought about the availability of cash versus time. Sort of like logging online to BDO when everyone else is trying and it's sometime slow because everyone is trying the same thing at the same time.

Or getting caught in the Queue at some customer service and just giving up and hanging up.

Of course money is money but I like to have the correct amount for all the c.o.d. items now being purchased online. So the smaller bills help (500 php and 100 php).

Hello Enzyte Bob
I withdraw P20,000 a time at BPI atm. then put all the small notes at home and only go shopping with P500 or P1,000 notes. My children keep coming to "the bank of dad" for shoppee change.
regards  Bruce

Try going in the afternoon.  You may have better luck.

Back in San Francisco, CA, we had an earthquake preparedness kit.

One of the tips on earthquake preparedness websites is to have emergency cash in small bills. It makes sense because, in a disaster, ATM's might not work or banks might be closed.

Some stores might run out of small bills or their credit card machine might be offline. 
A convenience store cashier might not accept your $100 bill if all you needed to buy is a few bottled water. (Some stores actually have a sign which reads "we accept only 50's or smaller.)

It's the same here in the Philippines. It's a good idea to have on hand emegency cash, not just in PhP500's and 1000's, but also in smaller bills,. Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (Central Bank) or BSP revises the design of the bills and coins every 5 years or so. Replace your emergency stash with newer issue bills when that happens.

Yes. Very truth.  Must have some spare small note for emergency anytime.  BANK ATM will fail in emergency.  No electricity.