Looking to connect with Brit's or Americans in Da Nang.

Hi There,

I'm Rob. I am a Brit but have lived in the US for 36 years. Finally, I am retiring, at least from my current business as a builder and real estate developer. I currently live in Naples FL and before was in Los Angeles for 22 years. I have been building amazing custom homes, and working on other commercial and residential projects for most of my time in the US. Some years ago in my mid 40's and after losing everything in the economic collapse, I spent a year in Asia and had the time of my life. I love Vietnam, the people, culture, and way of life.

I don't know much about Da Nang other than what I have learned from watching practically all the videos on YouTube. I love beach life and I know I am going to love it there. I am hoping to connect with some people that will hopefully become friends. There are a few things I would like advice about.

1. Is there such a thing as a self-storage facility in Da Nang? I want to ship out some of my belongings. I think they would fit in a 4' x 4' x 8' crate but the only places I could find online took small items like luggage. I want to store the crate until I secure a house I like. That may take a month or two.
  2. I understand that you can get a tourist visa for 3 months but have to leave the country every 90 days. How difficult is that to get back in? Obviously, if I have a house and belongings, I want to make sure I can get back in the country
  3. I cannot see myself fully retiring. I would like to get involved with a business there. Possibly a partnership if I find the right opportunity or start my own thing. It could be as simple as a clothing store or coffee shop, also considering real estate investing. If you have any insights into these things, I would love to chat.

There are many other things I would like to ask. I am planning on being there in June.

Looking forward to connect.

Ah Rob,

we have experienced a similar situation.

1. Can't help you with things that I dont have knowledge of.
  2. It is simple and very easy. VN is a very friendly country so you will not have a problems running into anything wall. If you have any question once you run into things, I don't mind helping.
  3. Stay connected. love to make new friends

I'm Rob. I am a Brit but have lived in the US for 36 years...

Welcome to the forum, Rob.

It's probably important in some conversations/situations that you clarify your passport status.

For instance, a UK citizen has an automatic 45 day visa exemption right that's not available to US passport holders.

I don't know much about Da Nang other than what I have learned from watching practically all the videos on YouTube. I love beach life and I know I am going to love it there.

Read up on life here in Đà Nẵng during the off season, when monsoon winds significantly change "beach life" here.

1. Is there such a thing as a self-storage facility in Da Nang? I want to ship out some of my belongings. I think they would fit in a 4' x 4' x 8' crate but the only places I could find online took small items like luggage. I want to store the crate until I secure a house I like. That may take a month or two.

Best bet is to engage a Vietnamese shipping agent here (many on Face.book) and inquire as to their storage policies following delivery

2. I understand that you can get a tourist visa for 3 months but have to leave the country every 90 days. How difficult is that to get back in? Obviously, if I have a house and belongings, I want to make sure I can get back in the country

Not difficult at all to get back in the country if your immigration record is clear, though without the assistance of an agent, you'll likely be spending 4 to 7 days waiting for your new evisa to be approved after you leave Vietnam.

(A few people are still reporting successfully applying for their next visa by themselves while still in VN, but many are reporting their applications being rejected.)

If you can afford it, I highly recommend planning a 1-week (or longer) vacation in Thailand or Cambodia or Laos or Kuala Lumpur or Singapore or the Philippines once every 3 months.

Currently, most agents have stopped helping foreigners INSIDE Vietnam get their next evisa approved.

The main visa agent in Danang is now reported to be charging $200+ USD to GUARANTEE your next visa will be approved, making it possible for you to do a quick, out-and-back visa border run.

But a border run from here is an all day affair.

There's recently been a TON written about the evisa situation in the forum, so please do some searching, especially in our sticky threads.

I cannot see myself fully retiring. I would like to get involved with a business there. Possibly a partnership if I find the right opportunity or start my own thing. It could be as simple as a clothing store or coffee shop, also considering real estate investing. If you have any insights into these things, I would love to chat.
    -@uk2la89

Vietnam forum expert Aidan can share a thread he wrote a while back concerning property laws here.

My personal recommendation is to open a cafe that shares space with a specialty grocery store.

The penultimate example I've seen of such a successful business elsewhere in VN is the  Annam Gourmet chain of stores.

Đà Nẵng really doesn't have anything like that.

I don't want to chat in private messages but keep posting your questions (after doing some more research for previous answers in the forum) and I'll do my best to assist when able.

Cheers!

@Lam T Thanks Lam, will stay in touch.

Rob

@OceanBeach92107

Wow... thanks for the response. As I said before, I have spent quite a bit of time in Asia. I am familiar with monsoons, floods etc. It's funny that I can't stand the rain here in the US but it never bothered me there. I know that nowhere is perfect, I just have had enough of the crazy politics and life in general here in the US. I will continue to research. Thanks so much.

Rob

...I have spent quite a bit of time in Asia. I am familiar with monsoons, floods etc. It's funny that I can't stand the rain here in the US but it never bothered me there. Rob
    -@uk2la89

Again, I encourage you to study monsoon season in Đà Nẵng.

We get hit with the northern monsoon system, which is much colder and more miserable than the southern monsoon system that strikes southern Việt Nam at a totally different time of the year.

Almost everyone loves the weather and beach conditions in Đà Nẵng from about April through September, but countless people have given up living here year round after being hit by miserable & cold Fall & Winter weather and terrible surf conditions during those times.

Good luck.

...Vietnam forum expert Aidan can share a thread he wrote a while back concerning property laws here. ...

-@OceanBeach92107

Found here.

I can help you to the best of my ability.Now i am living in Da Nang, pls inb

-@vothiminhloandn

I wouldn't do that (IMHO)

-@vothiminhloandn

Hello vothiminhloandn. Welcome to the forum.

Do you know many Brit's or Americans in Da Nang? If so, how did you meet them?

@uk2la89 Hi Rob, Personally what I like about Da Nang is that it is a relatively small community and it is very easy to meet people here. Very easy to get around and explore. There's a fair number of folks from the US, UK, Europe, Aus, Canada, so no problem with networking. I cannot say how productive that would be but much is hidden in the woodwork here and takes a little time to find. You might checkout the Dirty Fingers BBQ when you are here.

I did find a storage place here. It is not temperature controlled but they rent spaces of various sizes:

Saigon Express Corp, Ms Nung ***5 - WhatsApp.

Cheers!

Moderated by Bhavna 3 weeks ago
Reason : Please share contact details in private
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@OceanBeach92107 I'm the weird one. It's been so long since I felt a cool breeze that I really enjoyed the last cool season. Although, Nov, Dec, and Jan were wet. Nothing dries in those months and the ambient levels of mold are quite high. Next home will have a dryer.

@uk2la89  I guess that they don't want me to give you the contact for the storage space. You can dm me.

@uk2la89  I guess that they don't want me to give you the contact for the storage space. You can dm me.

-@mitsmaak

If we deleted the contacts in time, the mass spam factories, gold diggers, and sex pervs that trawl the Internet for emails and numbers didn't get it.

If we didn't .........