What is the budget to live retired in Cap Cana?

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a 4-bedroom villa in the city of Las Canas Cap Cana. I've been told that living there is very expensive. I would like you to help me make a budget of how much my monthly costs would be having a normal life, nothing eccentric, using the following factors for 2 people in their 50s.

1.supermarket

2.service (electricity, gas, internet, water)

3.HOA for villa 4 habs.

4.1 car (gas, insurance)

5. health care insurance

6. property insurance

7. entertainment (2 dinners a week)

8.sport (bicycle, swimming, beach etc..)

9.proper clean and cooking

10. property maintenance (pool, garden, etc..)

11. something that I have forgotten...........

I will just mention the food costs of the supermarket have skyrocketed last few years. I generally shop at the nacional but what I use to spend was about 25%-30% less than in the US but now is probably more for comparable.

Other items like health insurance are very reasonable in comparison.

Water 20 a month, utiltities 150 a month high usage 250, internet/tv 150

@DRVisitor, thank, you think that with $2500 and $3000, I will cover all those costs including what you tell me about food. living in Cap Cana

3k you should be fine.

Supermarket is the biggest issue because you can cut back on eating at restaurants but supermarket is generally consistent unless your going on a diet :)

@DRVisitor the prices, insurance and maintenance of the property

@joelconcepcion28

Don't think 3k would be enough for 2 living in that area comfortably. Las Canas is just outside of Cap Cana which has high prices, and you might feel a bit left out if you are unable to afford them.

@Michita the realtor told me Las Canas is inside the cap cana, and I ask to Cap Cana office and told me , las canas is a neighborhood the cap cana with the same privileges

@michita, what do you think what budget do I need, or can you recommend another project with similar amenities?

Las Canas is outside of the gated area of Cap Cana. However, as i understand it, you would still get privileges to things inside of the gated area.

The other master planned community that is often compared to Cap Cana is Casa de Campo, but will certainly be in the same price range.

It would be worthwhile to go down and check it out.  Cap Cana is a quiet, secure, privileged area.

If I can add my two cents, for what little I know of Las Canas - I visited Las Canas a couple of months ago to see a house being built by a friend of my husband. He wanted us to see how nice it was. In my opinion, it is isolated from other areas in Cap Cana. It is not near the beach. I did not see any type of security to enter Las Canas (it's just an open entrance - not sure if there are plans to build a security gate down the road). There is a community pool and a small "clubhouse". The homes seemed very close together/small lots. However, the biggest shock to me was the HOA fee - For what I consider a small 4 bedroom villa, his HOA fee is $800 a month! I still can't get over how high that seemed. Of course, it's just my opinion, but for what it's worth, that is more than 2.5 times what we will be paying once our villa is done (we are building at Cocotal) for MANY more amenities including a private beach area, a 27-hole golf course, big clubhouse, pro shop, restaurant/bar, tennis courts, paddle ball courts, Olympic size pool, awesome security, extermination of all outdoor areas, all lawn & landscape maintenance, and so on.  Just something to think about. You should ask your real estate agent what the HOA fee is and exactly where that money goes/what you get for that money, AND have him/her show you the included amenities in writing, before putting any money down at all. I just think a fee like that is really, really high unless there are amenities we couldn't see. Also, much of Las Canas is still preconstruction so be careful putting any money down on a "promise". I don't know if they sell the lots there, separately, and then you can build on your own, or if the lot/house are a package deal.

@colmcb ok, thanks

I highly doubt the HOA in Las Canas is that high.  There are two fees charged by APROCAP, the home owners association of Cap Cana.  There is a ”Residential Maintenance Fee” and a ”General Maintenance Fee.”  The Residential Maintenace is based on the size of the lot.  We have a lot that is 1,125m2 and the monthly fee is $300.  The General Maintenance fee is based on the number of bedrooms at a rate of $32 per room.  These are rates inside of Cap Cana.

@MTPinCC@ ohh, that's two rates, the one for the lot is $300 plus 4 bedrooms is $128, the total is $428 for 4 beds. My real estate only told me that it was 32 dollars for 3 rooms and I felt that it was very little. @Mtpincc your lot is in las canas city and they charge although not there construction

Yes.  $428 for 4 bedrooms.  I don't know if the rates are the same in Las Canas, but those are our current rates.  Our lot is in Caletón, a "neighborhood" inside of Cap Cana.  From what I understand the "Residential Maintenance" is different in each neighborhood.  Because the infrastructure was still under construction when we purchased the lot, we were not charged these maintenance fees until said infrastructure was complete (roads, sidewalks, lights, sewer, etc).  I would ask your agent, or someone well connected in Cap Cana, about these fees in Las Canas.  I can put you in contact with the agent we worked with, who is associated with Inversiones Aides (https://inversionesaides.com), the exclusive broker for Cap Cana real estate.

https://www.capcanaowners.com/aprocap

To answer some of your additional questions, here is what I was provided back in 2021 when we were going through the process.  These prices have likely changed.  We are just about to start our build, so we don't have any of these services yet, but inquired during our research (in 2021).  Cap Cana is basically a private entity and the provider of all of the services:

• Electricity: Depends upon consumption: KWH is priced at US$0.28.
  • Though, I have seen some other posts that suggest these rates have increased.

• Water: Depends upon consumption: $0.84 cubic meter.

• Cable TV: Basic Cable with three TVs: $37.00 /month

• Internet Service: Basic internet package: $50.00 /month

@joelconcepcion28

You are getting all the info needed, will suggest you look at Punta Cana Village instead of Las Canas. It is for a wider upscale public, has shopping mall, closer to everything, well planned and established w sound backing.

Check Google Earth, the Cap Cana drive gets old after living there for a while, unless you don' t venture out🤔

Best wishes😊

@MTPinCC thank you . Good information.

1. You know how much is for pool and garden mantenance?

2. Are you happy with the invest in Cap Cana , its is worth?

1. I don't know about the fees for pool and garden, but someone did recommend Pret Consierge Services, and SMA Consierge Services for these services.
  2. Time will tell.  We only have a lot and finalizing the design for our build.  That being said, we love the Cap Cana area.  The beaches are nice, there are some good restaurant options, and the golf is top notch.  We intend on renting our place most of the year until the kids are gone, but we frequent Cap Cana several times per year.  Like I said earlier, it is quiet, never crowded, safe and relaxing.  I like to golf, so that is the cherry on top.

I would agree and look at some  of the other properties as many new ones are being built inside Cap Cana. Depends on your price point.

@joelconcepcion28:  I'm sorry, I'm a to the point kind of person.  If you have a budget, cap cana is not for you, if your budget is 3K cap cana is not for you.  If you want to have a life here look elsewhere because 3K today will be 6K 5 years from now...cheers and good luck, but not to be a party pooper there are plenty of good properties in the punta cana area that could satisfy your budget and provide a great lifestyle with 3K per month.  I am assuming that you will buy a property and own a car outright...otherwise cap cana is way over your head.

Sometimes reality needs to be stated.

@DominicanadaMikeHello, I do not agree with you and I think that an organized person would not agree either. Every person has their budget and has to live based on that. You cannot say that Cap Cana lives without a budget because there is a studio for rent cheap.

and multimillion dollar mansions and everyone goes as far as they can, if God gave you the blessing to choose what you want and burn the money without knowing how it get, God bless you. But others, before taking any step, analyze so as not to live drowned in debt and live comfortably both physically and mentally.

@joelconcepcion28:  You asked for opinions, you have mine.  The rest is up to you.  Good luck.

We question ideas and facts we never attack the messenger.

His opinion is his. 

You don't have to agree.  Don't assume others think like you.  Let them weigh in!

@DominicanadaMike you not give me any answer,  not budget is the infinity.  I need the real cost live in Dominican Republic,  specifically in Cap cana.

No one can give you a specific budget without understanding your entire lifestyle.  We can only offer generalities!

@joelconcepcion28:  I don't live in Cap Cana, perhaps you will find someone who does that can give better advise.  I have lived in the Punta Cana area for nearly 10 years and deal with many people here, both local and foreign.  I believe my opinion is a valid one but perhaps you could be more specific and complete about your expectations and then you might get a better response.  The list you provided is just some generalities to which you can expect a variety of responses.

Have a good day.

@DominicanadaMikeI'm sorry if I went too far in my comment, but really with your experience you should tell us your living costs like @Mpticc , he explains me the real  costs of the Hoa in cap cana. and so those of us who are planning to retire know the reality to

My cost of living is totally irrelevant to you.  As I said before, someone in Cap Cana will be able to give you costs related to Cap Cana.   But again, that means very little in relation to you.  HOA fees vary depending on the unit or the house and in some areas there is an additional maintenance fee on top of that.  Your information is far too vague to get a real picture of what you are looking for.  You have most likely read on many of the threads to come here and visit before making any decisions to move here.  This country is like no other...I'll bet the bank on that!

Joel hate to explain this to you but you can live in Fishing Lodge for a fraction of the cost of owning a villa in Caleton all in Cap Cana! Costs vary like in any area!

This feels like going into a Ferrari dealership while wondering about insurance/maintenance costs and how much gasoline it will use.

@DRVisitor thanks,  I found a website that explains the living cost, plus the explanation the Hoa fee tha @mtpincc explained now I'm clear

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/i … rrency=USD

That site appears to be Punta Cana, which is not cap cana specific.

Quite different, PC is upscale and CC more exclusive, because it is intended for those w lots of $, but it has some affordable options.

@Michita Hey there. Ive lived in punta cana Village with my Wife and two sons (8 and 5) for the last 18 months. We started in Green Village in Cap cana and opted not to stay after 6 weeks. Pricey and cap cana is/was a bit of a ghost town. There's no real community there. Food for thought.

In terms of budget, if you have a paid off home I think $5000 in cap cana would be doable to live well. If you're paying a mortgage or rent add that on.

We have a 4 bed villa in the village. Our electric bill is $350+ and has been as high as $650 in summer. Air in the bedrooms only. Gas is $5/gallon for your car and food is pricey. Add in wifi, cell, health insurance, car insurance, fun .. and it adds up quickly.

I do a lot of content about living in punta cana on instagram. Here's a video I did specifically about cost of living. Hope it helps

Thank you for your info!  And thank you for not posting your video.  You can send that by private message any time you like or when anyone asks

@jgrub10 thanks,  please give me the link

Please use the private message function.

@jgrub10  That's more along the lines of my experience with Cap Cana...

@jgrub10 Thanks for sharing your experience, we also lived in Green Village 5 yrs. ago and it was not enjoyable then.

My personal opinion is that it may be paradise if you have all the money and time to enjoy it, but for most mortals that is not the case.

Best would be to experience it yourself, there are different options and price points.