Hello! New Member from California moving to Ghana

Hi Everyone!

Greetings to you all - in Ghana, or waiting to get there! I have been self-employed, operating my own business for 20 years now, and have dedicated my life to moving and living in Ghana. Our children are currently 16 and 20 years old, and we are planning on going in two years. I will be 46 or 47 when we move. My younger daughter will be 18 then, and is not as excited about moving to another country as my wife & myself, and at 18 she will have alot more options here regarding where she will live. Now - since I basically jumped from High School to running businesses, I do not have a degree or college education, except for 4 or 5 business classes specifically to help me with my own business. Also, I have ZERO connections in Ghana - I know nobody there! (That's the main reason I just signed up on this Expat.com). Without the college degree, can I still find a job in Ghana? What should I do? This decision of moving has not been taken lightly. My wife & I are truly committed to living there until we die. Ghana is my home, and I have never been there! (Been to South Africa once, too much like the U.S., but still better than the U.S.)! Regarding the job market, I do not want to take anything away from a Ghanaian native that is looking for a job. My industry was in transportation - I had, and still have, a small trucking company delivering wine, wine products, & non-perishable food items throughout the state. I have lost interest in transportation, and I really desire to HELP PEOPLE in Ghana. What do I do now? Where do I look? Should I try to get a minimal degree in Health Care before I go in two years, or something else? Should I not even worry about a degree, and use my time here in another way (to prepare for a job)? I do not have much money, like many of us here that lost alot of business due to the economy the last 4 years. I do not expect nor really care if I get "rich" in Ghana. I just want a simple lifestyle, a happy life, and a healthy life. HELP! PLEASE! Also, should I have my (2) vehicles shipped over, or purchase there? I have two dogs I LOVE, wouldn't take a million dollars for them, honestly. Is it difficult to get them over there? One is a four year old Boxer, and the other a PitBull mix, is this a problem? Should I buy a home or rent a home? (From learning & research thus far, sounds like we need air-conditioning & a back-up generator)! What do you expats do when you are not working? Are the work days the same as here - 8-12 hours a day, five days a week? I am a (competitive days are over!) bodybuilder also, are there any gyms there? Accra maybe? I've always thought Accra was the place we'd move to, but is there a better place in Ghana? God Bless all of you. Thanks for reading my long post! I love to write!   ~Ironron~

i read your post n i'm excited for u wanting to move to Ghana, it's a wonderful place to live the one thing i can tell u that u either get a degree in anything, coming from the US u would be able to land a great job OR save up money and open up your own business in what ever your interested in Ghanaian s r pretty much open minded to trying new things  :D

Thank you, Loisnana! I really appreciate your e-mail and advice - very thoughtful of you. I really need advice and help just like yours, as I don't know what to expect upon arrival, and I need a solid plan to have an income. I'm pretty good at starting a business in the U.S., but I'm (obviously!) not sure about any red tape or bureaucracy there, or if it's just complete freedom doing whatever you want! But, like you mentioned, the degree is always a good idea, and I probably should get one, at least as a back-up plan. I have a couple ideas in my head regarding start-ups there (in Ghana) but not sure if it's something they need. I also truly would feel terrible to start up anything, and take business away from anyone there!

Kind Regards,

Ironron (Ron)

My advice would be to come here for a holiday and look around and see what opportunities there are. Also you could assess whether you and your family really want to live here.

Hello the honorable Ms. Hkann,

Very good advice! Imagine if we couldn't tolerate it! Thank God I know in my heart that Ghana is truly where I'm destined to be. (.....and no, I'm not nutz or anything either, OK)? I've had this same feeling for Ghana as I did when I married my wife of 22 years so far, when are children were born, and with lifting weights - I know, a little out of the equation, but...oh well. So these types of feelings or perhaps "a moment" one might call it, or "It came to me from God" - whatever each type wants to name it is fine with me, but it was one of those "moments" one has only 4 or 5 times in their life, that sort of thing that you just feel intensely, but so intensely that you don't know how to describe it to someone else. Ghana was one of those moments, and I will be there, I just don't know exactly when or even what purpose I'll serve, but I'll still be there! My wife will stand by my side & support me for anything I believe in, always has. She's awesome! At first she wasn't too keen on moving to West Africa, safety issues ran through her mind, the kids, our parents, medical & medication availability, etc., but over the course of a few months.........tick tock...tick tock..................................................She's excited about it! She is looking forward now to moving over, all the excitement of a new country, a new people, new cultures, a different home, different food, everything! I've been to SA once 3-4 years ago, & it felt alot like San Francisco here, which I wasn't truly impressed with regarding living there. I had this desire that just burns constantly to BE THERE! Only it's Sub-saharan Africa that I want so badly. It feels very strange like my heart is telling me "It's Urgent! Let's Go Ironron"! But I still want to be intelligent about it, not rush, do it right, more research, etc., & I think that side wins. (The thinking side). I realize we've put alot of year's work into this, but even that wouldn't have mattered if we just get that feeling inside, like someone is telling you to do something - and telling you where.   Anyhow, thank you for your advice & help, please do keep in touch!  ~Ironron ~  (Ron)

you will surely love it here sir,have lived all my life here in ghana and ghana is a wonderful place to live with great people, the expanditure here is not really a problem and then things are less expensive, you are always welcome and if you need more insight ,u can kindly text or message anyone of us for any information,God be with u