Hello im new here!

Hello all, I am a British mum of 3. We are considering moving to Ghana, my boyfriend was born there but is now British too.
Im looking for advice/tips regarding visas, housing, procedures etc Im also hoping to make some friends along the way!
Over here in uk my boyfriend is a civil engineer and I am a foster carer - if I'm entitled to a working visa, what jobs would be recommended for me?
:)

Of course you can get a working visa but it has to be sponsored by an employer. If you come as a dependant - and I am not sure if you can do that in a de facto relationship - you will have to look on the immigration website for the Ghana government - you will not be allowed to work. I have also heard about a business visa but I am not sure how that works - seems like you have to pay each month you stay here.
I am sure there will be some openings for your boyfriend. Not sure about how he will go about it. Probably come and then look around there are opportunities.
Housing will depend on where you want to live but it is quite expensive and you have to pay 2 years rent up front so be prepared for that.
Hope it works out for you

Medaasi hkann, your advice is just what I'm looking for! I know I have alot of reading up to do and we really are at the stage of just wondering about moving.
Our children haven't been to Ghana yet and we are bringing them for 2 weeks next year, considering its the country of their fathers roots that trip is long over due!
Thanks again :)

Lol its nice ur thank you (medaasi)...
Ghana is very different from the western world so be ready for some huge changes! we're not as high tech and advanced...we live a very simple...life here....but we do know how to party!! lol...
Get ready for lots of spiced food, hot weather, and cultural differences etc.
Its a pretty interesting experience.
and with ur man, you should have no trouble at all getting around and adapting to the change...it should be fun!

As Hkaan advised, working permits are usually given by employers or if u are married to a Ghanaian you could get the residence permit. Documentations are a doable matter, so dont fret too much.

Come for ur holiday with ur family, look around for urself and get a personal view on things...then decide. We can only give u the basics...

On behalf of Ghana i say AKWAABA!! ;-)

Ghana is at the beginning of a boom - as a civil engineer your partner should not have any trouble finding work in the construction or real estate sectors.

Social work is rather underdeveloped here but if you were interested in the voluntary sector then there are many orphanages, NGOs that assist kids and no doubt could do with experienced helpers. Or why not set up your own?? There's practically no state welfare system here so charities and NGOs are filling the gap. Setting up your own company could be one way of obtaining your work permit if you are not going to be sponsored by an employer.

I don't know what ages your kids are but the private nursery and primary school education choices in Accra are excellent compared to what my young kids were getting in the UK. I don't know how the secondary schools here compare though.

Good quality housing is a bit of a problem - the interior finishing isn't great and to buy or rent in a decent area in Accra is expensive. If budget's not an issue then you want to be in Airport, Ridge, Cantonments, labone, East Legon. There are neighbourhoods on the borders of these posher areas where you can pick up more of a bargain - Kanda, Shiashie, Ajiriganor, Nyaniba, Asylum Down. Don't be put off uncompleted or run down buildings, often the owners have run out of cash to complete the works and you can really negotiate a bargain and a long lease by taking on the completion yourself; the added advantage of doing this is that you get the finish that you want.

There's plenty to do in Accra eating and drinking-wise; lots of regions to explore outside Accra too. Although Ghanaians are generally friendly and outwardly respectful you need to have your wits about you to make sure you're not cheated or a victim of opportunistic theft. Ghanaians, I've found out in my own personal experience, don't like to tell you bad news, and they don't like to share their true feelings if these are negative; the work ethic also leaves a lot to be desired. Just a few thoughts. hope this helps.

I have someone, may be who can suggest.He is working with me and is from Northern Island:)

Am a Nigerian living in Nigeria. As a Nanny/Doula, Elderly Carer and Babysitter. Am planning moving down to Ghana to continue with my job as a Nanny. Please how can i get a family to work with as their Childrens Nanny. Am planning to stay with a family atleast for three years. Am a widow with a grown-up Children. Your advice is needed. Thank you.