Father wants to abduct my child to Ghana

Hi,

My husband is Ghanian and I am UK, my husband currently lives in Ghana but has threatened to take our child to Ghana to live without my permission. Does anybody know what the family law is in Ghana? I believe that in Ghana a father can "take" a child from their mother when they are about 6yrs old, does anyone know if is this true? Any advice will be greatly appriciated as I am very worried about what to do if this happens. My child is only 3 months old.

Have you talked to him about how sensitive children born in Europe are to tropical diseases and other infections?
As a biracial person I do think that experiencing both sides is extremeley important. (I donŽt know whether the child shares my background.)Yet kidnapping should never be accepted. IsnŽt there a way for you to discuss this issue because the child is British AND Ghanaian. CouldnŽt you travel with the child since it is easier for you having grown up in Europe to think of precautions that have to be taken regarding babyŽs food etc. You can use that as an argument why you want to go as well.
I donŽt know about his background but I do believe that his family would react if he were to take the baby away from you after you have been there showing your willingness to let them get to know eachother.

Was he living in the Uk before or were you in Ghana when you met?
DonŽt know anything about family law in Ghana but what I know about the legal system is that money talks.ThatŽs the way it is. At the same time itŽs a country that values children (even though itŽs hard to believe sometimes) I assume that you will have to go through the British law system.

Once again, I cannot stress enough the importance for your child to get access to his/her Ghanaian side, it will strenghthen your child as a person.

Hi Ebony, thankyou so much for your reply.

I will explain further,
My husband and I are very much together and we have been together for 3 years and married for 2 of them (even though we currently live in different countries!). My husband has been to the UK to visit, but does not want to live here, I have been to Ghana many times before I got pregnant and we decided that when my baby is about 3yrs we will both move to Ghana to live.

My husband is a poor man in Ghana, he started a NGO foundation and I have spent the last two years sending money to support him (pay his rent, bills etc) and funding the foundation.

This is my problem:

I am not in the same financial situation anymore to send money to support my husband and the foundation has not made any money to support itself. My baby has a chronic lung infection and I do not believe that Ghana will have the same hospital care as the UK and even if it did we would not have any money to pay the private costs. We would also not be able to send my child to school!

I have no objection whatsoever about taking my daughter to visit Ghana, even for a few months, I really want her to meet her lovely Ghanaian family and I do love the country, but as you can see from the above it would be impossible for us to live there unless my husbands financial situation improved dramatically!

My concern is this: if I tell my husband I dont want to live in Ghana and he doesnt want to live here in the UK, he may want my daughter to live there and if I say no he may just try and take her anyway!

Now you may think I am being paranoid but the only reason this thought is in my head in the first place is because my husband said "you can have her whilst she is a baby and I will take her when she is older"

He said he was joking, but I believe the saying that "ever a true word is said in jest" and I cant help believing that this may be his intention for the future.

I will e-mail you in private.