Work remotely from Singapore for non-registered employer

Hi folks, I've searched for similar topics but found none. There are topics on remote work outside SG, but not in SG, hence started this to get some guidance.

One of my previous companies (late-stage, well-funded startup) wants to employ me again, but they do not have a registered office/entity in Singapore. Given I'm a foreigner, I will require an EP to be able to work with them. I know Global Employment Organizations (GEOs) can sponsor a visa on the unregistered employer's behalf. But, what are the chances of getting such an EP approved?

I ask because such an employer (unregistered) is not adding to Singapore's growth/economy in any way. Nor can they show any financials since they have no business in Singapore. I will be the sole employee in SEA for the company, so even diversity cannot be displayed/proven.

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers!

Under the current circumstances, with all the additional scrutiny etc- its got to have bleak chances.

I had the same thought, just needed some reassurance from someone knowledgeable like you :)
Thank you!

I have never heard (and don't think it's true) that a non-registered (in Singapore) company can get you an EP.
However, I did hear (not from an authoritative source, so please check!) that it is tolerated for foreigners in Singapore to work without work visa remotely for a foreign company, provided that the company has no presence whatsoever, no customers and no other dealings in Singapore.
I do not know how payments and taxation should be handled in such a case.

beppi wrote:

I have never heard (and don't think it's true) that a non-registered (in Singapore) company can get you an EP.
However, I did hear (not from an authoritative source, so please check!) that it is tolerated for foreigners in Singapore to work without work visa remotely for foreign companies, provided that the company has no presence whatsoever, no customers and no other dealings in Singapore.
I do not know how payments and taxation should be handled in such a case.

Understood beppi! Let me dig a little deeper into remote working by foreigners and see how it all works out. Thank you so much!

As for non-registered companies - basically an Employer of Record would register the business and hire employees on the company's behalf. Here's more info for everyone's perusal: https://globalpeoservices.com/singapore/

That is a completely different scenario: You'd be employed and working for the linked company (which is registered in Singapore). That the company is providing services of foreign companies is of course allowed, but immaterial to your employment situation!

However, I did hear (not from an authoritative source, so please check!) that it is tolerated for foreigners in Singapore to work without work visa remotely for a foreign company, provided that the company has no presence whatsoever, no customers and no other dealings in Singapore.

This is true. If you have some other visa that you can use to live in Singapore such as Dependent Pass then you do not need EP to work for an oversea company that has no legal presence in Singapore. You can clarify this by writing them an email. They are pretty good at replying to these. 

Regarding tax, you will have to pay income tax in Singapore as Singapore follows a territorial basis for taxation. That is if you are living in Singapore > 183 days, you are considered a tax resident and need to pay tax for any income made while living here. It does not matter if the employer is an oversea company or in Singapore. 

However, I did hear (not from an authoritative source, so please check!) that it is tolerated for foreigners in Singapore to work without work visa remotely for a foreign company...

If the income is coming in as salary into your Singapore account, sure you have to pay taxes. 

Working on a DP isn't permitted, so please do get clarity from MoM before you violate any such norms/ laws. 

Regarding tax, you will have to pay income tax in Singapore as Singapore follows a territorial basis for taxation. That is if you are living in Singapore > 183 days, you are considered a tax resident and need to pay tax for any income made while living here. It does not matter if the employer is an oversea company or in Singapore.

This is not correct: You have to pay income tax here if you stay (stay, not work!) in Singapore for more than 60 days!

Below 183 days, you are assessed at the (higher) non-residential tax rates, above that it is residential rates.

And, as Shekhz has pointed out above, better make doubly sure (get it in writing!) that you are allowed to work for this overseas employer and that they have no presence whatsoever in the country. Otherwise, it is you, not them, who bears the consequences (i.e. deportation and ban).