Best inexpensive materials to build a house

Planning to build our small house on property that we own. It's located between Orotina and Tarcoles. Any ideas on buying materials in a package deal. We're planning on doing our own construction if possible. Prefab would work for us. Any advice would be appreciated.

Best to build with cement, cement blocks, steel and glass.
Going cheap will cost you more in the long run.

Thanks. My brother in law who lives in CR said the same. I'll wait a week or two for as many responses as possible.

Also look into SIP panels they look like a great option as well

Ziminar wrote:

Also look into SIP panels they look like a great option as well

SIP panels seem nice but you also have to have reinforcement where your windows are so the bars can't be easily pulled out. SIP Panels are USB (oriented strandboard) with foam in the middle. Great for insulation, good for a second floor but someone could probably drill through then use a reciprocating saw to cut an access path.

Plus these days portable tools allow more criminal access. I've been seeing video of people stealing bikes in under 60 seconds with a hand grinder even against though Kriptonite locks.

I only know two couples that used these.  One was/is a Canadian friend who had previously worked in construction and their home, we visited often but always found it way too hot  :sick so we always had to sit outside. Now, we just about lived outside but it was like going into a furnace.  This was a very small house, built  'Tico style'.
Actually he is now trying to sell it. The second home collapsed part way through building it...

I'll look into sip panels.

I'll look into sip panels. We'll check out the pros and cons as best as I can. Seems like it's strong enough to build a second floor. That would be a plus. Downside may be the heat. Is it the sip panels that attract/contain heat?

kurtarita5 wrote:

Is it the sip panels that attract/contain heat?

It's literally Styrofoam sandwiched between two sheets of USB plywood. I would expect it has very good insulation properties.

Personally, I would say, to make sure you have a decent overhang all round the house to provide enough shade...and to keep rain off...with enough room to enjoy meals at a table outside without falling off onto the ground. We found that the hardway :dumbom:
However, this or any other roof covering such as bodegas  or covered walkways will be taxed the same price per square mt. as the rest of the house.

Mucho gracias all...

Build for the local conditions - Termites, Weather, and earthquakes

Cheap is fine but cheap might well cost you a lot of cash if you have to replace it quickly.
If prefab works, consider container homes and other unusual ideas.

There is an old saying in Costa Rica about this  "Lo Barato Sale Caro"........If anything do not forget to invest in your roof,if you are planning anything long term.

Thanks Fred. I'd consider a container or two but am still looking. Any info would be helpful.

Yes Ed.🌧️😊

Everyone seems to be thinking of SIPS from the US. In CR they are made with foam and cement board, not OSB.