What are you missing in Dominican Republic?

Hi everyone,

Living in Dominican Republic, on the long or short run, it is completely normal to feel homesick sometimes. We would like to know what you are missing the most about your home country in Dominican Republic.

Do you miss any aspects of your home culture? If so, what are these?

Are you able to reproduce dishes from home and find the necessary ingredients?

What about leisure activities? Have you had to reconsider your favourite activities? If so, which ones have you had to give up?

Are there any celebrations or traditions from your home country that you cannot take part in Dominican Republic?

How do you cope with that in your daily life?

Thanks for your contribution!

Diksha,
Expat.com team

We moved to DR in July 2020, in the midst of the pandemic and strict curfews. I think the timing played a bigger part in us "missing out" on holiday celebrations and leisure activities than the move.

We live in Las Terrenas, so our shopping options pale in comparison to what is available in Santo Domingo, Santiago, Punta Cana and other larger cities and towns. I think the thing I've missed the most is convenience - not having Amazon deliveries next day (waiting a week when you really need something seems like forever!), not having the products I know and trust readily available, not always being able to get an answer to a simple question (My Spanish is lacking - I cannot communicate in Spanish at all over the phone!), having to know where the landmarks are to be able to find anything in this town. (Where is the pet food store? It's by the restaurant supply place. Where is that? It's just before you get to the colmado with the good fruit...)

But, we've become more resourceful! Yesterday, I was stuck in a pair of uncomfortable shoes that created a blister. Not being comfortable asking the folks in the migracion office if they had a bandaid, my husband and I started brainstorming. Within a couple of minutes, my spare mask was out of my purse and on my foot, protecting it from further damage! The shape of the mask formed a nice heel cup and the elastic went up around my toes to hold it in place. I think making do with what you have, or what you can get, is something we've picked up since we've been living here.

The benefits of living here - the beautiful weather, the gorgeous scenery, the lovely people - make it easy to take those minor inconveniences in stride!

wow, i can see how hard it was last year for you guys!
once we settle in our condo in santo domingo We will be your personal translator, shopper etc lol
i will help anyone with spanish so you can get around better. we are both bilingual , well I am l the wife still taking baby steps with english hahah

I miss a north American level of customer service. After 18 years here I have adapted really well.  I Iove life here, even in Santo Domingo.

The lack of customer service, some days, is annoying. Other days it's a major issue. 

There is almost nothing I can't find here.  What I can't find I order online.  Often local products are much better anyway! 

My life is mostly in Spanish so some days I miss a good conversation in English! 

Every once in a while I miss something from home, like downhill skiing.  This feeling passes quickly though and I head to the beach!

planner wrote:

I miss a north American level of customer service. After 18 years here I have adapted really well.  I Iove life here, even in Santo Domingo.

The lack of customer service, some days, is annoying. Other days it's a major issue. 

There is almost nothing I can't find here.  What I can't find I order online.  Often local products are much better anyway! 

My life is mostly in Spanish so some days I miss a good conversation in English! 

Every once in a while I miss something from home, like downhill skiing.  This feeling passes quickly though and I head to the beach!

North American Customer service levels of 18 years ago are sadly very scarce these days from what i've experienced.

My wife was hung up on by a “Bot” last week because the Bot told her she was being disrespectful. All my wife wanted was to talk to a human.

My feeling is that as North American service declines DR will increase and it will get better and better over here in the coming years and worse and worse over there.

Most people in America that work customer service jobs today a bitter, resentful and disengaged as they  likely felt or believed they should be entitle to some kind of fame or fortune via social or traditional media. It is sad to see.

Anyway just my observation.

We did get great service in a traditional American diner last month from a 50 year old woman, the service highlight of our recent trip. Lol

Customer Service has changed (even in Canada this past 2 years).  I have had some serious problems with large companies like Kia, pool companies, banks, all being very rude and disrespectful.  I think doing more through the phone, with no facial contact, is making it easier for some people to be rude.  And they don't seem to care about reviews much anymore because many people understand that a lot of reviews are faked, and paid, and can be removed on some sites.  It is very unfortunate.  Now, I try to make great reviews for companies that do have wonderful service, rather than the other way around.

Interesting perspective.  I was more talking about in person - sales people, clerks cashier's, waiters etc.  Online and by phone service here has always sucked! 

Today I went to a store and purchased a couple bigger items and a bunch of small things. I waited in line at the cashier 40 minutes. When I got to the front THEN I was told I had to go to a different lane. That is after she watched me unload my damn cart onto the belt!!! I walked away and left it all!

Another example - responding to ads or listings by realtors.  I am looking for specific things for a couple of clients.  I send 25 requests..... And get ZERO responses in 4 days. 

So yup I miss what I remember of customer service!

Just a thought.....think of the education level of these folks answering the phone or working as a cashier.....they seem to have a sense of entitlement. Unlike most expats, they are "working" and are proud to wear an official carnet. You...a demanding customer deserve nothing because you (gringo /gringa ) obviously have money.... have you no sympathy for them ??? They are slaving away all day for you. They cry poverty until Friday or Saturday night at the club when they are buying bottles of liquor to impress.

That made me smile!!!  Sadly this attitude extends to all their customers....

One thing to know is I live in Santo Domingo, where, outside a couple smaller areas, tourism is not the big thing.  What I see is usually pretty much what anyone living and working here will see. 

It's always interesting to me when I go to predominantly tourist areas!   The treatment is totally different.   And frankly, on that level, I prefer Santo Domingo.

So I still miss the customer service I remember before I moved here!

I can find most of what I want, except Miracle
Whip. Having to go to multiple stores to locate what I want gets on my nerves at times. Sometimes I just order things on Amazon as opposed to driving around trying to find that certain tool or or part that I need. The thing I miss most is responsible driving habits.

I miss Miracle Whip too!!!!!!!!! every once in a while Playero in Sosua has it.  But its not often.

offer, first week Jan when we move to danto domingo, I can take some stuff for snyome that is craving american food lol.
we are packing a big box with all the spieces etc that we love to have so we can share with our new friends

Hahaha, me to!  My husband just came back from Canada with 3 cans of maple syrup, 2 jars of honey from my favorite honey store, 1 jar of Miracle whip and 1 jar of Cheese whiz!  Yumyum!

Hello everyone on the topic of what is miss in the US I been retired 8 years now from NewYork move to Florida  after 3 years move to Puerto Rico no complaints about the food and no taxes on property own going to a doctor's appointment at 11am and leaving the doctor's office at 6pm for me nerve wrecking. Waiting two weeks for the power company to installed a meter for electricity and waiting two months to water service , everything takes a life time spent  almost 5 months without electrify after hurricane Maria I move to North Carolina after that mess. A hurricane in September will leave you without power through the holidays I think having daylight hour move ahead permanently so that it gets dark at 8pm or later better for business and a bit safer for people to move about

I guess I better stuff a box with all my favs too, last two boxes next month
lol the small things that makes smile lol

I miss….
Good shampoo and conditioner
A decent eyebrow bar
Reliability in inventory
A healthy smoothie bar
Vegan tacos
Good sushi
Affordable cars
Drinkable tap water