Starting work with IPA

Hi All,

I just received my EP approval sometime in mid-June. My tentative start date was supposed to be 1st of July. however, considering the travel restriction, the company that I work for is still not able to apply for my entry pass (I am currently residing in what Singapore deems to be a high risk country).

Would I be able to start my employment before I arrive in Singapore? From my understanding, an IPA is not sufficient to start work, however, I am wondering whether there is an update to this rule considering Covid.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

A Singapore work pass is required to start work IN SINGAPORE.
Working elsewhere is governed by the laws of the country you are in, not Singapore law (regardless of where the employer is located).

Hi Beppi! Thanks for the clarification!

So, as long as the country that I am currently residing have no issues, I could technically start working for the company before I arrive in Singapore correct?

Second what Beppi mentioned.

Technically, you can work remotely (wherever you are), it is a discussion to be had with your employer on the interim arrangement. There should be an agreement, outline what you get paid, where etc.

Hi Shekhz,

Thank you for the explanation! I guess I'll have to get in touch with the company for the interim arrangements.