Thinking About Escaping!

Hi all! newb here. Thinking about escaping the cold prairie winters. Pretty much have my heart set on Belize, seems like it has so much going for it. Not sure where to start though. Any advise would be great...

T

Hello,

My family and I moved down here from the states 9 months ago and couldn't be happier. I would be more than happy to provide some insight on what it involved. Any thoughts on which area you want to live?
Michael

Thanks for the reply Michael! I'm not even sure about my preferred area yet. I like the thought of quiet and I've read good things about the Placencia local. I'd like to be close to the ocean however being right on it isn't a must.. looks like there's some benefits to being closer to Mexico so maybe I should be considering  the Corozal area too. After reading some of the threads about the banking system and moving money into the country I'm starting to wonder if this could be my biggest hurdle. I'm thinking for the first year I'd look at renting to get a better handle on the country and culture... perhaps this would help me decide where I'd like to put roots down.

I think coming here and renting at first is a great idea. We knew we wanted to on the island of Ambergris Caye so that made it easier for us. Each place you mentioned has it's own personality and brings something different to the table. As for the money situation, there is a way to eventually set up a bank account however you need to get residency first which is minimum of a year. We have maintained our US account and draw cash from the ATM as needed and pay for everything else by credit card. Certain banks are better than others when withdrawing cash as far as fees or exchange charges.

Ok, that doesn't sound so bad then as far as the banking, as long as you can withdraw from your regular north american banks through the ATMs. Any ideas on how the government views non nationals working? I'd be semi retired but would like to be able to earn money to help offset living costs. Perhaps start a small business of some kind.

Glad you are enjoying it Michael!
We too are considering Belize and other tropical places to retire.
Are you working still or retired?

Cheers from Arizona!

Hey NewB,

We are in a similar frame of mind with regard to relocating to Belize or other tropical location.
Have you been to Belize for a vacay yet?

Cheers from AZ

Hey Jimmy!

Here's the answer for both of you. For non nationals working, the guideline is that if a job being offered can be done by a Belizean then they come first and you will most likely not be considered, understandably so. What most expats do, myself included, is start a business. There are many opportunities for new businesses as this is still a young independent country and it is welcomed even more if it provides an opportunity for locals to get a job within your business.

Thanks for this information, Michael.
I appreciate you taking the time to respond. :  )

Cheers

Hey, Jimmy.. I haven't been to Belize yet. Been all over the tropics and haven't really found anywhere that I'd like to call home. I'm not huge on the tourist traps though and it sounds like Belize is laid back enough that it's got me thinking. Yes, thanks for the info Michael... that make perfect sense. Starting a small business is probably the way to go then. I think if I end up doing this I'll take a few months and just chill out and go from there.

Moving to Belize is a great idea. I came just before the Pandemic, bought, remodeled a house & yard & am so happy I did. I was able to get a bank account 3 months after arrival, I do Not have residency, but it was not a problem. My suggestion like others is to come, rent in an area & decide. I rented in Cayo, loved it, went back home, sold my house & moved back to Cayo, down the street 4 houses from where I rented. I am home. Just remember things take longer here, that like all the world recovery from the pandemic is ongoing so take your time, explore, have patience, remember you are looking for different than where you are now.

Great to hear from you Ali.Gray! I'm thinking you did it right! Looks like I need to do an expeditionary trip down first.

If anyone who is wanting to move to the Corozal area and is in need, to either buy, or rent property, I may have a number of options available, both to purchase, or Lease Long-Term only - ie 6 month  Drop me a line or 2,,, be patient with me as this platform does not inform me when I have messages,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I have visited Palencia and want to return… one month safe rental this coming January 2022 if anyone has suggestions. I am 50, employed nurse, super clean and tidy.  I want to have time to feel things out for my future. Hopefully arrange longer term stays as each year passes. I wouldn't mind working as a nurse but it's not essential I do so. I am feeling out for my retirement. I come from a quiet laid back community. Palencia had that feel to me. I've travelled to many islands and they all offer so many wonderful things, but Belize felt like I could be home there. Any info would be greatly appreciated and friendship is always encouraged.
Steph