Rejected EP - HIgh Salary not commensurate

Hi,

Have been following this forum. Its been very helpful.

Will restrict my Query to those that have not been answered before. SAT Tool criteria met.

Rejected EP - reason - HIgh Salary not commensurate to candidate's credentials based on documents submitted.

Background - 12 years experience.

Previous Salary in the current country (not SG) - 7500 USD per month - fixed component. The variable component will be 2x.

Offered Salary - 9500 USD per month - fixed component. The variable component will be around 2x.

Offered Position - CEO, it is a role more senior than the present. It is in the newly set up SG office of my present company.

Market surveys show average fixed component for similar candidates is upwards of 12000 USD per month.

I am assuming the reason or rejection, is on account of the difference between, present v. proposed (which is increased).

The increment is primarily on account of the change in role (more senior), and cost of living between the present country and SG, and towards health insurance.

The company will be appealing justifying the salary. I will really appreciate it if members have any inputs on this issue and if there are any other factors that can be used to demonstrate other than the above

Should the company further divide the fixed into basic + allowance - the cost of living allowance, health insurance, etc? The application submitted had mentioned Nil as a Fixed Monthly allowance. Can this be adjusted now in the appeal?

Thank you.

Moderated by Priscilla 2 years ago
Reason : off topic
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi! I used to handle these in my past role. The company should pass a supporting letter to MOM explaining why there is a high salary bump from your previous one.

The usual reason is they don't think it's realistic you're supposed to have a massive increase.

You write to MOM, controller of workpasses via the EPonline portal. There is an option that lets you submit additional documentation to support the EP application and explain that this is a fair jump considering it is a leadership role. At the same time, explain other factors why the salary increase equates to your market experience. Usually they will come back reconsidering.

semilegal.alien wrote:

Hi! I used to handle these in my past role. The company should pass a supporting letter to MOM explaining why there is a high salary bump from your previous one.

The usual reason is they don't think it's realistic you're supposed to have a massive increase.

You write to MOM, controller of workpasses via the EPonline portal. There is an option that lets you submit additional documentation to support the EP application and explain that this is a fair jump considering it is a leadership role. At the same time, explain other factors why the salary increase equates to your market experience. Usually they will come back reconsidering.

Thank you so much! This makes me more hopeful.

Do you have a view on the bifurcation of the fixed into basic and allowance - this wasn't done at the first instance - should it be revised now?

Your company can still send the letter. Here are details how to:

https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permi … pplication

It has to be the company doing the appeal so talk to the HR. If they're not lazy, it can be done in half an hour.

Another aspect: MoM also looks at the ability of the company to pay this kind of salary. If it is newly registered (in Singapore) and has no business and no local employees yet, this looks questionable. In this case the company should attach documents showing that the foreign headquarter is funding everything - and a business plan showing that locals will be hired in due course can also smooth things up.

Thank beppi!

The MoM had asked for additional documents and at that stage, we did attach the documents mentioned by you (funding, bank account statements, and a clear business plan).

We also funded the bank account of the company to show funds equivalent to 12 months of expenses (including the salary).

The entity is a regulated entity and has already received licenses from the regulator based on similar criteria - business plan etc.

Hi Blissful60 - you don't need to share the variable component (2x fixed in your case) anywhere in the application right ?

Wonder why they are so concerned with salary levels - it only means higher taxes to the govt

peedus wrote:

Hi Blissful60 - you don't need to share the variable component (2x fixed in your case) anywhere in the application right ?

Wonder why they are so concerned with salary levels - it only means higher taxes to the govt

On a work pass application, EP or S Pass, the fixed component is what's called out. Variable isn't something that's certain and depends on how you perform, against targets/ KPIs etc.

It ain't about higher taxes, it's about justifying what a candidate is being paid commensurate to their relevant experience, skills and budget that the company sets aside for a role/ advertises on the jobs banks. If you earning X today, next job application is submitted with 2X, that doesn't sound right- something is off.

Normal industry standard is anywhere in the range of 15-30% bump in most countries, not just Singapore. But given the additional scrutiny in SG, a company must justify why you (over a local), and why the higher salary (and justify it well).

Hope that helps.

Thank you. Preserving local jobs makes sense but this salary control is a little over the top I feel. For all you know a guy maybe underpaid in his past job, or could have negotiated well.

What if the employer gives 10% bump and then after 6 months revised the comp and gives a one time bonus to make up for the lower hike early on

Do you think the immigration guys know which sector which profile what work ex pays how much?

MoM (they are not „immigration guys“, but the labour ministry) knows very well what the market rate for which kind of job is - and they check closely to make sure that no foreigner comes to Singapore over- or underpaid.