How to be happy as an expat in Colombia

Hi everyone,

Being happy is surely our common goal, whether we are living in Colombia as an expat or somewhere else.
We would love to know your tips and tricks to be fully fulfilled and happy as an expat in your host country.

New environment may require new habits. Which habits did you have to implement to live a good life in Colombia?

How do you keep stress in check? Which activities or mantras help you in that regard?

How to form meaningful connections and create a support system in Colombia on which you can rely on?

How to track your goals and achieve them without feeling overwhelmed?

What did you learn from Colombians about the notion of happiness and how does it inspire you?

Thanks for your contribution!

Cheryl,
Expat.com team

"I've been rich and I've been poor.  Believe me, rich is better."  -- Pearl Bailey

Living in Colombia for 5 years has worked out pretty well for me. It's difficult to know what tips to offer anybody else. In the park across from my apartment I heard an American soundng English being spoken by two guys and we struck up a conversation. They were in Colombia sizing up retirement locations. Without first asking them what they had in mind I launched into my salesman's tips about city life in Medellin, my life of high rise ease and comfort, the 24 hour doorman for security, the restaurants close by, and on & on. I was so pleased with myself I felt like the cat that ate the canary. They responded that that was not at all what they wanted out of retirement. They were both looking to find a "finca" or country home. They wanted to be away from the hubub, do a little gardening, breath fresh unpolluted air and keep a few animals.
So it's hard to know what tips to offer because people are so different. If I had to distill down what I've learned to something that would possibly be of value to almost everybody I'd say this; if you don't speak Spanish then make a solid effort to learn it and be patient.

Happiness here, like anywhere, is simple.

Get a good workout in, eat well, do meaningful work, live within your means, and invest in your relationships. If most of those things are going well, you will be well on your way to happiness.

If any one of those things start to sour, the others will keep you propped up.

Colombia Specific:
Get a gym membership (Smartfit, Bodytech, somewhere close to where you live)
Learn Spanish (re: meaningful work and relationships)
Lay off the fried food, even though it is delicious.

If you feel down about some aspect of your life, pause before you quit.

Wesley,

On point - but number 3, that's a hard sell. You're not wrong - at all, in both respects. Away from fried, though it is delicious. got it. all true; But you're asking me not to live. Can i double down on Gym 1 for 1/2 an empanada?. Will technology finally make a decent diet papa rellena?

35 years and still waiting, looking for answers... Luis

PS. If posting replies, please submit pics of papa rellena or other in thread. :)

https://images-gmi-pmc.edge-generalmills.com/a308c3d3-780c-4233-b2f6-c3fa4c5efa05.jpg

Luis, if you double down at the gym you deserve a few of these. Lemme know if you find a diet version. If it has half the calories, we can eat twice as many.

Can you tell me where you ate that delicious papa rellena?