Home Internet

Hello I am wondering if there is an unlimited Internet package available in the DR

Presuming you mean for your home, I believe that's all that is available...unlimited.  At least with Claro...

Thank you very much..have you an idea of cost?

Unlimited internet for home is the normal.  What  is different is the speed of the internet.

And providers depend where you are located. Cost depends on who you use.

At my house I have  Altice fiber optic -  150 down,  20 up UNLIMITED with a landline and  500 minutes,  2 HD cable boxes with all the  international channels - Cost including taxes is  about US 75 a month

Thank you 👍

Fiber Optic and that's the top speed?  For USD 75. That is a ripoff compared to NJ. we get Giga speed for that.

Who says that is the top speed? I said that is what I have.     THIS IS NOT  NJ!  The thread is about here and not there!

Noted. So what is the top speed?

No idea.  This works just fine and I have no need for faster. Most do not for routine work.  Voip etc would note the difference but most never would.

Coverage is varible around the country for each of the 3 companies offering unlimited internet/wi fi nationwide:

http://aplicaciones.claro.com.do/cobert … _hype.htmlhttps://www.altice.com.do/personal/movi … -coberturahttps://viva.com.do/cobertura/

There are other regional suppliers such as Tricom in Santo Domingo who supposedly have the fastest network. All offer an 'unlimited' package. 300/100 is available from Altice in the capital but you buy a bundle for that called Triple Play.

For me I am in a 'hole' in the middle of the country and only Viva can provide me with a half decent wi fi service which is 5 mbs unlimited for 1170rd per month (oh - as most providers it drops to 3mbs once you use up your quota). For that I get my Netflix and wi fi services and stream live soccer and music and take conference calls with video. I've tested the upload, download and ping everywhere around and above my house and I have what I have - just enough for now.

Having been thrown in a deep hole, one soon realizes that all this talk of speed is irrelevant for most of us. I'm no gamer and country life all around is too precious to focus on a too digital world. And if a hurricane hits us, one will have to live without such luxuries for some months. That happened in St Croix after Maria with limited and lousy service for our loss adjusting team. Just for a moment look at the data cabling hanging from poles all around DR in the towns and cities and think what a strong storm could do!

Yes this is DR and not NJ.

Honey Tricom is Altice now.   ;)

Thanks!

We're in a different country.

I am coming to DR next month and will need decent wifi at the home I will be renting in Cabarete.  Does anyone know if there a service provider that will not require a long term contract?  I may stay for only 5 months.

danimcdg34 wrote:

I am coming to DR next month and will need decent wifi at the home I will be renting in Cabarete.  Does anyone know if there a service provider that will not require a long term contract?  I may stay for only 5 months.

Buy a data bundle on your mobile. :top:

Yes cable del Norte offers month by month and they're usually a week give or take for installation. But you have to buy your own modem from them which is about 5 to 6,000 pesos. And they offer 50 mpbs's is what I usually get and it's cost me anywhere from $52 to $60 a month. You can also ask them to give you a USA IP address so you can do banking and a lot of other stuff online if not some banking institution and credit card companies won't allow you to sign in from a foreign IP

https://cabledelnorte.com/.    Is the website and the only drawback is the at the way to be there to get it activated because they require a copy of your driver's license so you actually have to go in person and do all the account set up. But it's right before the traffic light in town

You have to remember you're not in New Jersey. It's a country trying to get developed so you got to take what you can get and compare to two years ago 50 is lightning speed. I remember six years ago was still dial up here. Sadly a lot of people have that same mentality but like I tell them when I hear him complain in town about the speed of the internet. If that's the only thing you have to complain about then the country is doing amazing job.

Thanks but that's not really going to be sufficient I don't think.

Ok. Thank you. I'll look into that!

Thanks for your help.  I'll check it out!

For homes the service is not unlimited, Claro has 200Gb download as maximum limit, from there they can suspend the service or downgrade, same as Altice and VIVA.

Good afternoon All,

My father recently purchased an apartment in Santo Domingo and I have always been his IT support and set up computers for him. Although the computer he bought was plug and play, you have no idea how un-technical he is! Trying to do IT support via Whatsapp is killing me.
Was hoping you guys could recommend someone in IT support that is patient and has good English. My dad is 82 and isn't going to learn Spanish or computers at this stage!
Thanks all for your help.

I am sorry to cut in the middle of a conversation to ask an irrelevant question but, can I get home internet with just my Canadian passport?

Sachabb I have several people who can help. I will message you privately

With some companies and products you can get it with just a passport

as soon as I get settled I will anyone with IT ans Spanish my friends
be safe
buenas noches