International Phone Service

Good morning;

There was a thread back in 2015 about this topic but I wanted to get a more recent set of comments/suggestions.

I will be living in Sousa and the house I have has internet included.  My challenge is that I will need to make (and receive) lots of phone calls each day back to the USA.

What is the best way to do this?  I have a US based cell phone (Verizon) but the cost to make/receive international calls back to the USA is prohibitive.

I am looking at Magic Jack, seeing if I can get a land line.....

Any other ideas/suggestions/advice.

Many thanks....

Receiving a call here costs nothing.  On both my phones and my land line a call to most of north america, Mexico and most of europe is the same as a local call.

I live in Cabarete and for the last 15 years have been using Ring Central. It offer free calls to USA and econo calls to the Caribbean. it has been extremely reliable and my cost is $60.00+ call fees to other than USA per month with a Miami Phone number and extension. You can choose the area code that you want to show.  For many years I kept another company to insure that I always had phone service to and from my USA ofc. I recently got rid the second company, just never used it.

Ring Central also seems to require less bandwidth that skype or others. In short, I can make good calls when others cannot.

Good luck.

Or....Whatsapp.

Steven;

Many thanks.....just to be clear for myself.....I can make and receive phone calls to the US and Canada for free with Ringtone on a US based cell phone.

Am I understanding this correctly....

I do not have a landline (yet and am not sure if I can get one) but I do have a US cell phone (Verizon).

I was also looking at Magic Jack but want to get the best coverage and "usability" (i.e when I am not hooked up to Modem/computer).

Does this make sense.....

Simon

Morning;

Do you use a local DR cell phone carrier?

USA Verizon has international plans but very limited # of calls and limited data usage.

Trying to get a landline....

Goal is simple;  use a US based cell phone to receive and make lots of calls to the US and Canada for as cheaply (free is good...lol) as possible, keeping the same US phone number and have calls with good quality service.

Looks like we have options....just trying to workout what will meet our needs the best.

BTW...this site is amazing.....thanks to you all my stress and anxiety about coming to the DR has been reduced.....the folks on this site are so helpful and patient....THANK YOU everyone

I use a VPN... USA based.... and just dial away on my PA phone number

800 numbers - everything

FaceTime audio is reliable

Thank you.....which VPN provider do you use?

You can also look into Google voice.

I use Norton.... I have the whole protection package

I was going to suggest google voice as well...uses you internet connection and has lots of features

We ported our US cell phone numbers to OpenPhone. For $10/month, we can make and receive calls/texts using the US numbers we had for years. Our phones have Claro SIM cards and we have the OpenPhone app for using the US phone numbers.

With GoogleVoice, you can use the app, but you cannot have calls to your GoogleVoice number ring to your DR phone.

I have been using Magicjack for many years.  The version I have plugs directly into my network (laptop not necessary) and I use a set of portable phones.  I call Canada and the US all of the time.  As long as your Internet is working, no issues.  Costs about $30 per year and mj to mj anywhere in the world for free.

Mike - do you use your Canadian number or a Dominican one?

I use my Canadian number because it gives my family and friends easy access to a non long distance number.  You pay an extra 10 dollars per year for a Canadian number.

Great- good to know - thanks