Previous employer refuses to help me for extension

Hi,

I am dealing with a very stressful situation right now so I just want to know if anyone can help me.

Last Saturday, my flight to Manila got cancelled and diverted to a different city (separate island). I asked my company to apply an extension for me so I can book another flight to Manila directly because it's really hard to quarantine twice and etc with PH's government requirements.

Anyway, I asked them and they outright refused. It is not an extension to find another job in fact I have already stopped looking and I have also accepted the fact that I'm going home. I had to beg them (it was a very traumatising experience) and go to the COO and call MOM twice just so they would help me. MOM recommended to just go ahead with the flight booking so I did and my previous employer finally applied for extension. Only 3 days away from the expiry of my STVP.

Today my previous employer called me again and sent me an email saying they will not be helping me with an extension ever again. I am just worried that if my flight gets diverted again and Manila is canceled, I would have to book another flight and apply for another extension. Is there any other way to extend it if your previous employer refuses? Has anyone gone through the same thing? Also, is there any place we can go to complain or raise this kind of concern?

Thanks in advance for your help!

If your employer refused you can try to walk in to MOM with a new flight booking. Most likely they will assist you.

Hi PrincessF,

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Some employers are not being helpful even at these trying times. You may walk in to MOM Service Center (Bendemeer) so that they can help you out. One of  my colleague is in almost similar situation so he went to MOM (walk-in) and the officer called our office , spoke to our admin and advised to apply for extension immediately.

MOM might ask you to book a ticket outright as well.  Hope everything will work out for you.

Sorry to hear that, also drop an email to your own embassy as well, in this pandemic time everyone supposed to compassionate and helpful.

LLA28 wrote:

If your employer refused you can try to walk in to MOM with a new flight booking. Most likely they will assist you.

Okay will do that next time if I need help again, then. They actually emailed me and asked me to acknowledge that I received that “this is the last time that we will be doing an extension for you”. Didn't acknowledge yesterday because I don't think I'm legally bound to do so anyway. And I feel like its just outright bullying.

garceinpink wrote:

Hi PrincessF,

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Some employers are not being helpful even at these trying times. You may walk in to MOM Service Center (Bendemeer) so that they can help you out. One of  my colleague is in almost similar situation so he went to MOM (walk-in) and the officer called our office , spoke to our admin and advised to apply for extension immediately.

MOM might ask you to book a ticket outright as well.  Hope everything will work out for you.

To be honest, I've cried so many times just because of what happened in asking for an extension. It was so disappointing, to think I've worked 6 years there. Just shows how they don't care about my service all these years and how stone cold and heartless they are.

Thank you for the tip! I'm curious though, did your friend get some repercussions from them out of that? I'm worried that because my HR company is such assholes, they'll do something like blacklist me or make it difficult to come back and find a job in the future.

Expat247 wrote:

Sorry to hear that, also drop an email to your own embassy as well, in this pandemic time everyone supposed to compassionate and helpful.

Oh, yes. I totally have skipped the part where I can get help from the embassy. Always felt like the PH embassy might be useless but if we never try, we'll never know... I'll try this for sure too!

Don't be scared. Nobody can blacklist you without legal order and for that they need prove it in court of law. It doesn't work that way.

Expat247 wrote:

Don't be scared. Nobody can blacklist you without legal order and for that they need prove it in court of law. It doesn't work that way.

Thank you! That is reassuring and it helps.

I guess some employers also take advantage and bully their ex employees because they know we are foreigners and some of us don't know so much so we live in a lot of fear. Thanks for that information! It is comforting to know.

I don't like bullies, I don't care where they are from.
- Steve Rogers 👍

https://ugc.reveliststatic.com/gen/full/2016/11/09/14/6h/dy/po26mpvtc839.gif

Expat247 wrote:

- Steve Rogers 👍

https://ugc.reveliststatic.com/gen/full … vtc839.gif

Good one, just lightened up the tight post above.

PrincessF wrote:
Expat247 wrote:

Thank you! That is reassuring and it helps.

I guess some employers also take advantage and bully their ex employees because they know we are foreigners and some of us don't know so much so we live in a lot of fear. Thanks for that information! It is comforting to know.

True, they can't harass you like how you thought they could.

Expat247 wrote:

- Steve Rogers 👍

https://ugc.reveliststatic.com/gen/full … vtc839.gif

LOVE THIS! Definitely made me laugh!