Moving to Nairobi with a pet

Hi, has anyone had experience in moving from Australia to Nairobi with a pet? Am hoping to bring our Cavalier King Charles with us on a 12month contract in Nairobi.... Any guidance would be appreciated.  Cheers!

Hi, please check the following link from Kenya High Commission, Canberra for information on this.

www.kenya.asn.au/index.php?option=com_c … &Itemid=62

yeah..it is allowed and easy..the climate here will be perfect for the pet.

[email protected]

I recently moved from Melbourne to Nairobi with a dog so feel free to send me a private message if you like.

In Australia, contact jetpets.com.au and they will organise the flight. The best option is Qatar Airlines which has built a new animal holding area at Doha and its a short transfer. It will cost around $2500 for the flight - they handle everything. You'll need to get an AQIS report certifying the animal is free of rabies etc. Jetpets will take you through all of that anyway.

Secondly you need to contact someone at the Kenyan High Commission in Canberra called Beatrice through the website. She will organise a permit for you from the Kenyan side which will cost around $50. Be absolutely clear on the travel date though, because the permit only lasts for 30 days - otherwise you have to start again. It takes about 3 weeks to get the permit.

At the Nairobi end, getting the dog through the airport can be a bit stressful for both you and the animal. You should arrange a clearing agent at this end to handle the bureaucracy - in short, 'perishable' goods attract much more demand for inducements to facilitate the clearance of the animal and this process in best handled locally. I would recommend AGS as a very high quality clearance agent at this end although they are pricey - you get what you pay for.

Hi
I sent my cats from the UK I used a professional air pets company which I am sure there are some in Sydney that bit was easy!
The problem I had was when I got to Nairobi, they drive you crazy and unless you know what you are doing they will mess you around BADLY. All I can tell you is make your way to the animal holding shed, DO NOT GIVE ANYONE MONEY! Ask for the government vet to be called (I do have the number somewhere let me know if you need it)I waited for over 4 hours in the end I put them in the car and drove out, told them to call the police if they don't like it! You need to get a thousand stamps and keep giving out more and more money, it became a joke!
Also just a bit of information on the return to the uk.
I couldn't bear the thought of putting my cats into quarantine in the UK and if they come from a non eu country - THEY HAVE TO!
So what I did was the rabies test, titre certificate, health certificates etc, etc, then packed up and flew them to spain. 
I planned on being there for 3 months (which would take me up to the 6 months when they could go to the uk- only with an EU Passport)to arrange the pet passports, little did I know I could do it in 1 day!
You have to wait the 6 months after the rabies injections and titre certificate issued (must be by a authorized Europe vet) I had my blood test done in Jo'burg South Africa. DHL the blood from Mombasa to Jo'Burg.
Knowing what I know now I should have spent the 6 months in kenya, flew to spain for a couple of days then straight onto the uk, the vet in spain didn't even see my cats I gave them 20 Euro's each and they looked at the paperwork and issued the passport!!!
I flew on Swiss air from Nairobi connected in Zurich then onto Valencia.
I was in such a panic state, however when I checked them in on the flight, excess baggage, straight at the checkin desk with me, (I just booked the excess bag (told them 2 cats) 2 weeks before) they put them in the oversize bag area IE behind their counters, let me sit with them until 30 mins before flight departure. Spoke to the guys loading the flight and the PROMISED me they would take them straight to the plane, asked for confirmation from the captain as soon as I got on board and they were on - so off we went.
At Zurich I went straight to flight information and as they were on a transit flight they do not go to the animal impound, they just go into a holding area.
So i get to the gate early I watch the plane arrive, then I see my cats on the back of one of the little cargo trolleys on the tarmac, they are loaded on before the passengers have even disembarked .
When I arrived in Valencia they came off the belt with my suitcase!
Walked through immigration, nobody stopped me or asked for anything!
NOT ONE PERSON LOOKED AT MY PAPERWORK THE WHOLE WAY!
If you would like any further advice please drop me an email at [email protected] as I truly know how stressful this is.

Surely its a little irresponsible to attempt/manage to shortcut the UK quarantine laws, or advise anyone about loopholes - the regulations may be over cautious, but are still there for a very good reason.  Is the short term comfort of your cats more important than keeping diseases such as rabies out of the UK?

My sister recently brought her cat from China.  It spend the required 6 months in quarantine.  She was allowed to visit the cat as often as she wanted and the cat was very well cared for and has suffered no ill effects at all.

The other solution would be: Don't take your pet to Kenya and if you are going to be in Kenya for a period of years, then get a pet once you are there.  I am sorry if this sounds 'hard', but I am just making a very practical suggestion, as moving yourself and your personal effects is stressful enough.

I am planning to move back to Kenya after living here for almost 15 years. I would like to relocate my dog and two cats. I would like to contact you when you I am ready for advise. They are kind of part of the family and I cant imagine leaving them behind.

Hello Macro72 -> Just to note that this thread is dated 2011. ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie