Bringing a pet with me... any luck through Tanzania

Hello,

My husband and I are relocating to Nairobi for work and will be bringing our Boston Terrier with us.  We will be flying from the US.  I understand that pets are not allowed in the cabin on the flight to Nairobi, but also read they are allowed on the cabin on flights to Tanzania.  We were thinking of flying into Tanzania and then from Tanzania to Nairobi to minimize his time in cargo. 

Does anyone know any information about this or have experience doing the same?

Thank you!
Paula

I think you would have to investigate exactly which airlines allow dogs in the cabin. 

I would start an online search for companies who specialize in moving pets abroad. There will be heaps of paperwork, vaccinations etc for this.

In my time in Tanzania and regular flights in and out of Nairobi I have never seen a dog getting off a plane yet.

Hi Paula,

Did you manage to pass through Tanzania with your Boston Terrier?

I had the same idea, and I am looking for some info.

Thanks

Were you able to go through Tanzania? My husband and I may be moving in the next 6 months and the idea of putting my dog in cargo is freaking me out!

Were you able to go through Tanzania? My husband and I may be moving in the next 6 months and the idea of putting my dog in cargo is freaking me out!

The problem might well be if you are unable to remain airside in Tanzania, between flights.  Tanzania has its own set of requirements for importing animals.

I understand that KLM allow pets (weight limit 8kg) in the cabin on some routes.  Ethiopian also appear to allow pets in the cabin, but advise to also check with then with regard to your destination country.  Turkish, likewise.