Info For Newbies regarding Finding Apartments in HCMC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXU6FUwS2Mg

MarkinNam wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXU6FUwS2Mg

It's good video about finding apartments in Ho Chi Minh City, although I think the banking information is outdated.

I don't think you can do a bank transfer to your landlord anymore in Vietnam.

Maybe I'm wrong about that.

Also both guys recommend coming to Vietnam and staying first in an Airbnb.

I'm glad they had a good experience with that but I've heard some real horror stories about Airbnb here.

Of course there are horror stories about hotels too but that's my recommendation to people: find an inexpensive hotel for 3 to 5 days while hunting for long-term accommodations.

Also the biggest advantage of having an apartment is the ability to cook for yourself easily.

People who prefer to eat in restaurants and eat Street Food will probably be just as happy or even happier living in a hotel on a monthly basis.

One advantage to almost all hotels is that they don't charge anything for the electricity while you're staying there and usually the maid service is everyday, unless you negotiate a different type of long-term agreement.

I don't have TIMO, but I do pay my rent through my Vietcombank account.  My landlord has an account there, but you can pay into another bank's accounts for a higher fee.  It was the same process as described in the video -- I used TransferWise to move enough money into Vietcombank to cover my entire lease and then each month I pay online or from my phone.

paulmsn wrote:

I don't have TIMO, but I do pay my rent through my Vietcombank account.  My landlord has an account there, but you can pay into another bank's accounts for a higher fee.  It was the same process as described in the video -- I used TransferWise to move enough money into Vietcombank to cover my entire lease and then each month I pay online or from my phone.

Thanks for correcting me.

In a different thread about the banking system there were people posting about the new regulations that said they were shutting down virtually all transfers for foreigners, except wire transfers into their accounts and transferwise like you're doing.

It sounded as if nobody could transfer anything to anyone through the banking system here.

I know I've been unable to when I've requested to do so.

But I'm glad you were able to do it.

As with a lot of things in Vietnam, I probably need to learn to ask the question differently