District 7 vs District 2 for English-speakers

Hi, I am currently in HCMC and am trying to decide where the best district to live is, it's been narrowed down to district 7 or 2.

I have been to district 7, wow, such an amazing place! My husband and I were very sold but a native of Saigon told us go to district 2, district 7 is for Korean and Japanese, not English-speakers. (We're Asian but don't speak Korean or Japanese and I speak English-only, while husband speaks Viet and English fluently.)

I have read on here and other places there ARE westerners in district 7 just not as many as Koreans. We're heading out to district 2 tomorrow to look but was curious of opinions on here. This site has been very helpful as I lurked. :D

So just your general opinion on district 2 vs district 7 plus was this Saigonese correct saying district 7 is not English-speaking friendly? Or not as much so as district 2.

Thank you so much!

Oh and, got any suggestions for neighborhoods in district 2? I hear An Phu thrown around.

I don't know D2 so can't compare. I have a Vietnamese friend who lives there and I get the impression that there are many English speaking westerners (much more than D7) in D2 (or at least part of it).

I do not agree with your friend about D7. First of all by D7 they mean Phu My Hung. Most of D7 is mostly Vietnamese. Phu My Hung is a Korean enclave with some Vietnamese, Japanese, white westerners, and Indians.

Many of the Koreans are Korean American and regardless quite a lot of them speak English to one degree or another. Most workers at most shops and restaurants who deal directly with customers have at least a minimal working knowledge of English (and many can speak quite well) so I think you would be just fine if you chose D7 Phu My Hung.

Well comparing D2 and D7.

Firstly, I would say the only place in D2 where there are that English Speaking Foreigners are in Thao Dien and An Phu. It's a really nice and peaceful place and you will basically find that almost all the shops there have English signboards. You will also find more Americans, British, French and so on in D2 almost everywhere you go.
Lots of bars and restaurants to chill out in the evenings or weekends where you will find mostly westerners.

As for D7 or Phu My Hung, it's much bigger as compared to D2 and there are more things to do and see. But it is true that there are quite alot of Koreans, Japanese and a mix of some other races.

I think your decision would also depend on where you are going to be working. If your job is in D1 then I think it would be more convenient and takes lesser time to travel as compared to Phu My Hung.

Then the next thing is about rental. If I'm not wrong, you would find that there are more choices in D7 as compared to D2. But as for the prices, I'm not very sure myself so you can check around.

Well all in all, D2 is a nice place to live and its rather peaceful and quite as compared to Phu My Hung. But in Phu My Hung, you will find that there are more things to do and places to go. If you ask me, I would choose D2. I really like the quiet and peaceful atmosphere there.

Good Luck on your decision and have fun in HCM City!

Dathan

Thank you for the replies! Yes by D7 I meant Phu My Hung, we went around there a lot and it was so lovely. My husband and I love Korean and Japanese food, so it's not like we mind that fact! lol

For us the need is:
English-speaking (you know, as good as it's gonna get here)
International school (for a few years down the road)
Grocery store (would love to be near international ones since I love making food from all around the world)

Shopping, restaurants and all that fun stuff would be nice but it's not a must have for a couple with a baby. :D

Thanks for the neighborhood tips in D2, will go look around those areas and see how we like it compared to PMH.

I'd definitley say District 7, Phu My Hung, hands down. Love that spot!

Better you should search the old threads here about same queries first and then take a trip to both places and decide yourself :D

I have been creeping on here a few weeks, read a whole lot of the site and learned a lot. I still felt I had a few questions, so I posted this thread. But thanks!

I know an apartment in District 2 with 3 bed room, kitchen, and very nice swimming pool, gym room.  If you have interesting, please contact me!!! I would like to help!!  This is my number: 0963 942 952.

I vote for D2.  I live in The Vista , The Vista is a group of luxury apartment buildings in District 2, Ho Chi Minh City. Located in the suburban area of An Phu,  I enjoy it and you're alway a short taxi ride away from all the action, good luck.  Welcome to Vietnam.... :dumbom:

I'm working in Real Estate field and I think D2 is better for westerners, the environment and neighborhood are calmer. Hope you enjoy your stay in Saigon!

Hi,

I live in D7 but have friends in D2.
In D7 you have a big shopping mall called Crescent Mall where you can find Giant supermarket which is the most western type store we could find here in HCMC. You also have a lot of western restaurants even if I think you may have more choice in D2 (at least if you like French food there are plenty of French restaurants in Thao Dien). You also have an excellent butcher there.
I personally don't really like Thao Dien, too much walls for me... I also heard there are more and more house breakings in D2 (maybe less if you choose to live in an apartment and not in a villa). D7 is really peaceful and you can easily walk in the streets or parks. I haven't seen any parks in D2 (?)
Regarding the rent, you may have more choice in D7 and thus have better prices. However I think that if you want to live in a villa, prices are approximately the same.

There are areas in D7 where you'll find more Korean people (Sky garden for instance) but in other areas you'll find more western people (English, Australian).

Good luck for choosing your place!