COST OF LIVING IN COSTA RICA

My wife and I have just begun seriously looking into Costa Rica as a full time retirement destination. Our goal  is to move 6 years from now.
My question:
I read that you can live nicely/ comfortably in Costa Rica on a $2,000/ monthly budget.
This seems to be a subjective observation.  What is comfortable to one is not so comfortable to another. I do not know the lifestyle of those who make this claim nor do I understand their unique perspective, or values.

Is a $2,000/ per month budget an activity filled lifestyle? Or are we talking about "window shopping" through retirement not having the ability to enjoy travel, dinners out, entertainment etc.
What lifestyle differences would a $3-$4,000/month budget afford?

Just curious what others have found.

Thank you!

I too am very interested in what people will have to say about this.  As you have indicated living expenses comes down to how well or frugal you want to live.  What can one expect and in what areas of the nation affects this?  Some places are more economical then others.  How do you want to live?  Do you want to be near the beach?  Higher where it is cooler?  Near farmlands where food is more organic and fresh?  Near where essential medical care is?  Do you want to be a hermit or do you need to be highly sociable?  Do you plan to travel and use Costa Rica as your home base or the opposite?

Alvpackman poses great questions.  I am also thinking about a possible move to CR for less than 90 days initially and all of this is so new to me.  I've never lived outside of the U.S.  For me, being near good medical facilities is very important as well.  I thank everyone who can jump on this posting and teach us.