Can you live in CR with $1500USD

Hello,

Im an american looking to leave the the US for a more laid back atmosphere. Im currently 29 years old and have a $1500 a month budget to live. My questions are:

1. What type of life can I have in CR for $1500 a month.
2. What cities are good for a young bachelor.
3. What type of work can I expect to have to supplement my income?

Any other advice would be helpful as well. Please let me know what areas to visit to narrow down my moving decision.

You will not be able to perform and be paid for any work until you become a permanent Costa Rica resident and that takes a minimum of three years and usually ends up running four years for it to happen.  There are a few exceptions if you are being sponsored by a company and they apply for you.  Here is a link to the various residency options.

Thanks for the reply Terryn. What about the $1500 dollar budget? Do you think that enough to live on? Once I'm settled I will also be looking to opening up a business.

There are more qualified people than me to give you a definitive answer.  We have been down a few times and will be there permanent in May of 2014 but have not lived there.  A lot will depend on what you want as far as living quarters, transportation, etc.  If you search locally rather than on the internet you will find better rental deals.  There are places to be found for rents of $400 to $600 per month depending on what area you chose to live in.  Bussing would be less expensive than owning and maintaining your own vehicle but less convenient and again depending on where you chose to live might make that decision for you.  I'll go out on a limb and say I think it is possible for a young single person to live on that amount but there won't be the ammenities you are used to.  The best thing that you could do would be to get there and figure out where you want to live and then price some accommodations in that area.  If you are planning on opening a business of some sort you will have to choose your location to ensure your business is viable.  Hopefully someone who is currently living there will chime in with an answer.  Cheers .... Terry

Hi! I read your post, I suggest, cebu, and you can work in call center, If you like crowded place its Makati City..your monthly income is enough for small condo.. welcome to the Philippines and enjoy your stay..

thanks Nellym, Ive been looking into the philippines as well but the work status seems to be a problem.Im currently considering Cebu, Bacolod and Davao due to how safe and inpensive Ive read they are.

1.5k is not bad... should be enough, but might be tight. Go to smaller cities, because they might be cheaper... Work on your Spanish. Many people do work without papers, and it will a bit easier for you (being a gringo), BUT you should be careful - there are risks. Marrying a Tica and getting proper papers down the line is something to consider too.. Good luck.

I'm living in Atenas for four months to see how I like it and whether it's affordable long term.

I'm living in a one-bedroom casita about 2 miles from the edge of the Atenas business district, and I mostly walk to and from town. I take taxis only when I have to a lot to carry. I take the bus to more distant points. I eat well (fresh produce, local meats and cheeses, etc.) and drink about one alcoholic drink per day. I have a cell phone and use Skype to call the States and receive calls from there.

I keep track of every expenditure. I've been here four weeks so far, and my living expenses for that period have been just under $1000. This total includes prepayment for a $70 excursion.

Hope this is of some help.

Thank you the info was very helpful. Im not sure Id like to live in that tight of a budget considering Im only 30 years old. Id also like to live in a larger area with better amenaties. At this point im starting to believe that anywhere between $2K-$2.5K should take care of me while in get settled.

Last September just purchased 2 lots in Lake Arenal but I'm MUCH older than you but all the information I got was through International Living. To have more access to them pay a yearly fee ...45- I think, and you have the best information about any country in the world. Good luck

Yes, it is possible to live in CR on $1,500 per month . My wife and I live very comfortably in Atenas on about $3,500 per month in a 5,000 sq. ft., 5 bedroom home with fabulous views. We purposely did not bring a car or purchase one in CR. Walking, bicycling and taking the excellent and cheap public busses has worked well for us, as well as causing me to lose 35  (much needed) pounds this last year. We areA both older and retired, however. A younger person probably would do well to live in the major metropolitan area in or around San Jose, with about 40 percent of the total CR population. You will then have available modern infrastructure, excellent medical and dental facilities, abundant night life and a large social pool of gringos and other ex-pats.
You will probably have a very difficult time working, unless you have money to start a viable business. I practiced medicine in the US, including at the Mayo Clinic, and I can not work down here in my field. The CR government is very protective of the native population when it comes to work. Salaries here are a lot less than in the states. A registered nurse, with a four year college degree, MIGHT make $25,000 per year, as opposed to starting salaries stateside in excess of $60,000 per year. Get the point?
You will also incur the expense of leaving the country every 90 days for anywhere from one-half to three days to renew your 90 day visa stamp on your passport. Immigration requires only that you leave the country period, customs requires 72 hours out of the country, but often the 72 hour requirement is enforced (but not the law) by immigration officials --- and there is absolutely no arguing with them. We've dipped out and back in in half a day for about $200 including a Nicaragua flight, so it can be done. Residency, which may take 4-24 months, depending on the individual, is the answer, but will also allow you to join, at very low cost, one of the world's best public health plans, call the caja. Medical and dental care are just great here. I know.

Hi there,

I just read your reply to this person and I want to say that I wnated to go to Cebu but to get a long term visa to Phils requires a deposit in a Phils bank of 50 000$ before you can get a visa and the cost ot the visa is 1400$

I believe thats for a perminen resident visa In the philipines. Im planning on heading out there in a coupe of months and hopefull Ill get a good idea wether or not Id like to move there.

Hi, My wife and I are looking into Atenas or LaGarita. Do you think a small furnished house can be found in these areas?

hI,my name is Jerry, and my wife and I will be retiring soon and we are planning on moving to the town of Atenas or laGarita. We will be on a fixed income of about 45.000yr. We hope to find a small furnished house in a nice area. Would you advise us to hire a guide or just go through a local Realtor? We plan on purchasing a car on arrival. Jerry

The guy to talk to (in Atenas) is Jurgen Blattner. He is a German national with long -time Coa Rican residency. (25 years) good German, English and Spanish. He built the only true hotel in Atenas, operated and sold The Balcon Cafe, downtown where most gringos hang out, owns numerous properties in and around Atenas, and also does sight- seeing tours throughout the country. His phone number is (506) 8397-4947.
Another contact would be Realtor Dennis Easters, owner of Pure Life Development in Atenas. One block north of Banco National downtown.
With regard to your other question about a couple living on about $45K per year here. That is almost exactly what my wife and I spend annually, and we live very well. Only diffrence is that we chose to not bring or get a car here. We don't miss it one little bit. Surprising since I have two high-end Mercedes back in Arizona. Food, if one eats like in the States, is very expensive here, as are most all import items. We recently compared a 42 inch internet ready flat screen tv that is under $400 at COSTCO  but is almost $800 down here. Gasoline, is almot $6 per gallon for unleaded regular, and tires, shocks, brakes, and other suspension parts get rough treatment and don't last nearly as long here. As a " gringo" you will be taken advantage of when buying a car - guaranteed. You need someone local to negotate for you. Period. There are numerous furnished houses  for sale, but most recommend that you lease for AT LEAST the first year of residency.
Hope this has helped. My direct phone here in Atenas is: (506) 8624-5197, if you have further questions.
Paul Weirather, MD (retired)

I concur with the previous poster who urged you to rent before you buy. This is easy to do in both Atenas and La Garita. One good way to do it is to come down in the off season (May - Oct) and rent whatever for a month. During that time you're very, very likely to find a rental you'll want to stay in.

If you have special requirements like a fenced yard for a dog, you may have to hunt a little, but there are some very nice furnished places available. Andrew Partain at ReMax Realty in Atenas is a good contact (as are the other realtors like those previously mentioned and Isabelle Jones at GoDutch Realty), but I've found the best method is networking with every gringo and Tico you meet. A friend found her rental through her Tico hairdresser in Atenas.

Unless you insist on buying the same brands and imported products you bought in the States, I think you'll have no problem living on $45K. I'm currently living (alone) on no more than $1K per month and am not suffering.

Good luck to you.

Hi Paul,thanks for the contacts I will be calling them once we are on CR soil.We plan to spend a few days in Atenas, Grecia, and LaGarita and holpfully ending up finding the right town for us. I made a contact with a company called Pass, the man that owns it deals with about 30-40 car dealerships and for 280.00 he helps you out with everything you need to purchase a car that is  needed for the terain there. He has a mechanic that will check out the vehicle and they do give a 30 day warranty on vehicle purchased. He already prepared me for the sticker shock. I will try to pick up a decent used vehicle for about 13,000.00. One that could be gotten for about 7,000.00 in the states.Thanks again, I may be asking you questions on health care later. Jerry

On the healthcare note, our youngest daughter, Karli, a mid-thirties teacher from Katy, TX, is here recuperting from intestinal bypass (roux e Y) surgery at Hospital Clinica Biblica in downtown San Jose. Surgery went perfectly on Friday and cost us1/3 of the amount it would average in the USA. The hospital is ranked. 6th in the western hemesphere, out of 15,000 facilities. Dentistry, however, represents almost 40 percent of medical tourism here, where quality is great and cost about 1/4 of the USA. The public health plan here, called el caja, in your income bracket, once residency is established, should run the two of you about $ 80. (Yes, eighty!) dollars a month FOR ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING! No deductioe, all pre-existing conditions, drugs, eyeglasses, etc., covered. One of the very best public health plans in the world. The CIMA hospital, in Escazu, southwest of San Jose, on the new highway 27, is about 20 minutes from Atenas, and was founded about 20' years ago by surgeons from Baylor University. They take most US insurance plans and are also a world-class facility.
Paul

Hi Paul, its funny when you mentioned Katy, Tx. we live in Kingwood, Tx.We have a small busioness that we have had here for 32yrs. We will be in the process of selling it and then retiring finally. Do you advise buying a health care plan before we obtain our Pensionado residencs? What kind of plans do they have available, my wife will need something temporillary, but I have a VA card I could us until we are approved. Sounds like you are enjoying life ion Costa Rica. Have you ever looked into LaGarita?

My opinion about La Garita: lovely but too hot.

Hi Jonny, how hot are we talking? My wife likes it hot and sunny as can be,I always tell her she is part snake. I thought that Atenas was almost the same as LaGarita as far as the weather goes. Would you say that the rentals are priced about the same? Jerry

I'm not an expert -- just an Atenas part-timer -- so I'm just giving you my personal observations. Right now (in the dry season) it seems to be pretty much hot and sunny all over this area. Days in and around Atenas are in the 80s and often up into the 90s for a couple hours in the afternoons. But La Garita always feels about a few degrees hotter than Atenas to me. Mostly it depends on the elevation. It tends to be cooler and breezier higher up. (I'm sure you've heard all this before.)

The two towns are just a few miles apart. You'll have no problem spending time in both when you get here. And both can be good options. You can easily enjoy hanging out in and exploring both places.

I think a previous poster mentioned El Balcon Cafe in Atenas as a gringo hangout. It's a good place to meet other gringos and get their opinions on almost anything. Another good option is Kay's Gringo Postres, just a few blocks from El Balcon. The two places seem to attract slightly different crowds, so you're likely to meet different folks at each place.

I do hope you're coming down (or have already come down) for one or more longish exploratory visits before committing to living here. (You may have mentioned doing this when you first posted -- don't recall.) CR isn't everyone's idea of paradise. You may think it sounds perfect and find that it doesn't meet your needs after you've been here awhile. Consequently, it makes sense to give the place a good long look before committing.

Funny that you said that about its not for everybody, I plan on leasing my house for a year so my wife wont think she is stranded there.I think if we lease a home for 1yr we will know for sure. I have to say that Iam a little more excited than she is at this time.Jerry

We will be moving to just south west of Puriscal in early 2014.  Here is a new on line publication The Puriscal Times
Cheers .... Terry

Even a couple can live okay on $1500/month if they're frugal, especially if they own a small home and don't have to pay $500-800/month rent.

But I wouldn't buy until renting first - that is just not a good idea! One needs to live in  Costa Rica for at least 3-6 months before buying!

A single guy can live well on $1500/month if he doesn't spend too much on rent. You can meet Ticas anywhere but if you want "nightlife" you will want to live close enough to San Jose to party there. OR Jaco.

Paul - I am a 60 year old active soon to be divorced woman. Waiting to sell my home in west palm beach, florida but will be checking out the places I have narrowed down to relocate to or at least rent initially and Atenas is one of them. Are you enjoying your time there? What made you pick Atenas? Do you know Spanish? I will be coming down for 2 weeks to look at Atenas, Grecia, San Ramon and Arenal area.
  Do you know if there are single women in your area?  Thanks for any info..

Hi Sherry!
We love it here in Atenas because of the size of the community --- 13,000, the large ex-pat community, including quite a few singles of both sexes, and the close proximity to San Jose and Alejuela,  1/2 hour to the east (the Juan Santamaria International Airport is also about 1/2 hour) and the Pacific Beaches to the west about and hour. Both Arenal (North West) and Jaco areas just weren't for us: Much  higher temperatures and humidity. But you will get to decide for yourself.
A place to get more information that might help you is a Facebook group called Atenas Costa Rica Info. Many  of us ex-pats use it a lot. Viewing the many posts may give you perspective. When in Atenas, give me a call, and we'll grab coffee or a meal:!(506) 8624-5197. It would be a pleasure to share my year-long exerience living down here. I plan on making the condition permanent. Love Ateas and all of CR.
Incidentally, I was born on McDill AFB, in Tampa.
Best regards,
Paul Weirather, MD

My advice was specically for the OP because he said he was a young bachelor.

For older people I do NOT recommend living near San Jose - well at least not too near! ;-D

I am a big fan of San Ramon where I have property, and do recommend that area for married people or older people who want a more mellow lifestyle, not looking to go out to nightclubs etc - San Ramon has a few good places to hang at night but it's not a mecca for "nightlife"! ;-D

What's nice about San Ramon is that it's a big enough city to provide anything you need - hospital, movies, banks, restaurants, cinema, super store, a mall, open air vege/fruit market, and so on. Yet it's not dangerous to drive in like San Jose nor dangerous to walk around in - it's a nice small town with nice people.

Yet you can live in the surrounding area - like our property which is just a few miles out of town - and "get away from it all". Then when you need something it's a 15-20 min drive into town.

Another nice thing about San Ramon is that you can "dial in" your weather. If you like it very cool at night you can look for a place around 4000-5000 feet up; or if you're like us and like that warm days/cooler nights thing, you can look for something like we have, around 2800 feet elevation. Also it's generally  cheaper buying in the mountains around San Ramon than other "discovered" more popular Central Vally communities like Atenas or Grecia. As to climate it's mostly about the elevation, though you also have to look at rainfall charts and ask the LOCAL neighbors (re next door to where you're planning to rent or buy) how the weather really is.

Some areas get VERY windy and have more fog and rain than others. There is a Costa Rica rainfall and sunshine chart online that will help with that, but still there are micro-climates and you have to ask the neighbors.

Hi Paul,

What did you do for health insurance while waiting for residency.

Renee

Are there other international gated communities closer to the town of Puriscal?  If so, why did you chose yours over them?

I only know of two gated communities near Puriscal but there could very easily be others that we never encountered.  We are in Altos de Antigua which is 17km south west of Puriscal on the #239 and there is Altos los Cafetales which is about 7km west of Puriscal on the #27 (towards Orotina).  Both were developed by the same developer.  We chose Altos de Antigua because it is more developed, has an entirely different type of climate and vegetation, and we just had better feelings about it.  Friends of ours from Quebec did buy in Altos los Cafetales because they liked the closer proximity to Puriscal and liked that type of climate better.  We have become very good friends with the developer of both and he lives in Altos de Antigua.
Cheers .... Terry

What is the difference between the climates?

Altos de Antigua  is a bit more of a rain forest type climate and tends to have a lot more foliage.  We have more "critters" at Altos de Antigua, there are monkeys, cotamundis, many parrots and at times scarlet macaws.  We also have three creeks that run year round.  Our view is towards the ocean.  Altos los Cafetales tends to be a bit drier with less natural foliage.  Both were coffee plantations at one time but Alto los Cafetales was more recent and you can still see the remnants of it.  The view of Altos los Cafetales faces the central valley.  There are quite a few different views on the links to both websites in my previous post.
Cheers .... Terry

I am living near Montezuma supporting my wife and I on $100.00 per month and we have a nice home windows with glass even :-)

cgbperkins wrote:

I am living near Montezuma supporting my wife and I on $100.00 per month and we have a nice home windows with glass even :-)

I assume you left off a zero and you mean $1000/month! Right?

That's good to hear. My basic soc sec may be only $1100 /month and my wife may have an income from online work of another $500-1000/month so we hope to make that work! We will have to rent for awhile but eventually will be able to build a home once we sell some land we have for sale so that will mean our monthly rent will go away (just home owning expenses).

I do know a couple living on $1000/month near San Ramon where our property is, as well, so yes it can be done!

I live in Playas del Coco on $1200 a month and am very comfortable.  Good town for singles if you like the beach and the night life.  Fishing, snorkeling, diving, golf, etc.  Lots of fun...

Scott T wrote:

I live in Playas del Coco on $1200 a month and am very comfortable.  Good town for singles if you like the beach and the night life.  Fishing, snorkeling, diving, golf, etc.  Lots of fun...

That sounds about right, Scott, and thanks for posting. When I hear people complaining about how expensive it is to live in Costa Rica I have to question what they are buying and how they are living!

Other than the gated communities (which we have no desire to be in), what areas would you consider to be in a good location if someone like myself (and the hubby) wanted to spend time exploring CR, the culture, food, etc.  We are thinking about visiting sometime in 2014, and spend a few weeks, I like the beach, he can take it or leave it, but he would love the the rainforest area, but we are definitely do not want to be secluded...We are not traveling thousands of miles away from home, to a foreign country, for isolation. The people and culture is what draws us to a place, and we when we visit that is our top priority.

d