CR vs Mexico

Has anyone here ever lived in Mexico?  CR medical care and safety were two of the biggest attractions for me.  I know there are areas in Mexico with higher crime rates, but there are relatively safe areas as well.  Mexico has good medical, and the housing prices are cheaper.  Being able to import my car and household items into Mexico is a big plus.  It appears Mexico provides access to better, or more "US type" shopping/stores, and a wider variety and availability of food items. Full-time in-home caregiving appears less expensive as well.  Any thoughts about the 2 countries?

Mexico is cheaper, Costa Rica is safer.

4theloveofsun wrote:

Has anyone here ever lived in Mexico?  CR medical care and safety were two of the biggest attractions for me.  I know there are areas in Mexico with higher crime rates, but there are relatively safe areas as well.  Mexico has good medical, and the housing prices are cheaper.  Being able to import my car and household items into Mexico is a big plus.  It appears Mexico provides access to better, or more "US type" shopping/stores, and a wider variety and availability of food items. Full-time in-home caregiving appears less expensive as well.  Any thoughts about the 2 countries?

Spent a lot of time in Mexico but never lived there for more than a month.  We have friends who moved from Costa Rica to Mexico.  I'll check with them to see if it's okay for me to give you their email address and then send it to you via PM.  The friends who moved to Mexico have said that the price of food there is MUCH cheaper than CR.  They are much happier in Mexico overall.  They have also said that they feel very safe in the area that they live.

I REALLY miss Mexican food.  SOOOO much better than CR.

As far as grocery stores, I would disagree that they have a wider variety or availability of North American type food.  I think you can get pretty much anything you would want here. Pricemart is pretty much exactly like Costco and Walmarts are everywhere.  For specialty items you can find almost anything at Auto Mercado.  The issue would be price.   Costa Rica is very overpriced on food.

One advantage to CR over Mexico is that you can drive pretty much anywhere you want and feel safe.  That would not be the case in Mexico.  So, to answer your question, ...six of one, half a dozen of the other.   Yeah, I'm a big help.  :D

- Expat Dave

I don't know where Expat Dave's friends are living in Mexico but I don't think I'd feel safe as a gringo anywhere in Mexico these days. I have family there (Mexican nationals) and they don't feel safe either.

And it doesn't seem to be getting any better there.

Costa Rica is much safer. But yes food prices and other things are higher here and less variety of products. Mexico is indeed much cheaper to live in.

Of the two I guess it depends on if you value lower cost of living more or safety more.

ExpatDave wrote:
4theloveofsun wrote:

Spent a lot of time in Mexico but never lived there for more than a month.  We have friends who moved from Costa Rica to Mexico.  I'll check with them to see if it's okay for me to give you their email address and then send it to you via PM.  The friends who moved to Mexico have said that the price of food there is MUCH cheaper than CR.  They are much happier in Mexico overall.  They have also said that they feel very safe in the area that they live.

I REALLY miss Mexican food.  SOOOO much better than CR.

As far as grocery stores, I would disagree that they have a wider variety or availability of North American type food.  I think you can get pretty much anything you would want here. Pricemart is pretty much exactly like Costco and Walmarts are everywhere.  For specialty items you can find almost anything at Auto Mercado.  The issue would be price.   Costa Rica is very overpriced on food.

One advantage to CR over Mexico is that you can drive pretty much anywhere you want and feel safe.  That would not be the case in Mexico.  So, to answer your question, ...six of one, half a dozen of the other.   Yeah, I'm a big help.  :D

- Expat Dave

Thank you Dave!  I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner.  I'm overworked, sleep deprived and under-paid ;) I would appreciate any and all information especially from someone living there.  My reference in terms of availability of food was geared more toward the meat in CR -- I should have been more precise with my wording.  I've read several posts here where the poster stated the meat in CR is not very good -- tough?

I believe you are correct about driving/travel in terms of safety.  It's my understanding you have to choose your destination and routes very carefully; as you do with any area (I'm thinking specifically of Watts, CA or the S. side of Chicago).  The big advantage of Mexico would be: 1) The infrastructure and, 2) I can actually take the car(s) I own without paying import fees.  At least that is my initial impression of my situation.  What we think and what "is" are two entirely different realities  :o

samramon wrote:

I don't know where Expat Dave's friends are living in Mexico but I don't think I'd feel safe as a gringo anywhere in Mexico these days. I have family there (Mexican nationals) and they don't feel safe either.

And it doesn't seem to be getting any better there.

Costa Rica is much safer. But yes food prices and other things are higher here and less variety of products. Mexico is indeed much cheaper to live in.

Of the two I guess it depends on if you value lower cost of living more or safety more.

Thank you very much for your response!  I apologize I haven't responded sooner.  Overall I'm certain CR is safer, but I smiled when I read your post.  I had to search for this YouTube video I watched a short while ago.  A young girl, who most decidedly speaks Spanish and would appear to be a Latin American herself, spoke about CR.  Of course she is young, pretty, and naive, but I think she fairly describes what it's like for a young girl almost anywhere.  I think she has a relatively small expanse of global travel knowledge so I did take that into consideration.

We researched Mexico for almost 5 years and then Belize for a year prior to buying property here in Costa Rica.  This was prior to 2010 and things were not as volatile in Mexico back then.  We are extremely grateful that we did our research and are very happy to have lived in Costa Rica for almost four years now!  Everyone's  opinion will be different though.

TerrynViv wrote:

We researched Mexico for almost 5 years and then Belize for a year prior to buying property here in Costa Rica.  This was prior to 2010 and things were not as volatile in Mexico back then.  We are extremely grateful that we did our research and are very happy to have lived in Costa Rica for almost four years now!  Everyone's  opinion will be different though.

Thank you Terry!  I'm a research fanatic as well so I completely understand where you are coming from.  I was fairly certain CR was my pick, but as I looked at CR again (I started researching at least 5 or more years ago as well) I noticed the cost of living isn't as good as it was; all things considered.  When I looked at the cost of housing, moving, import taxes,etc., it was big $$$.  Import taxes are almost a deal breaker when I consider I have to buy everything I've accumulated over a lifetime AGAIN.  It's like being 18 again: crappy dishes, crappy silverware, crappy cutlery, crappy cookware, crappy car, crappy beds, crappy sound system, crappy TV, crappy linens, etc. etc.  That was okay when I was 18, but I'm not 18 and I have zero interest in purchasing the comforts of home all over again.  It really would be cost prohibitive to replace much of what I have.  I would have to make do... If I have to I will but it appears there may actually be a better overall alternative...

I decided to research again after calculating the "real" cost of moving to CR. I hadn't given any consideration to Mexico but many (a majority) of the retirement/live abroad "experts" (if there is such a thing) have consistently rated Mexico higher than CR for several years in a row.  Yucatan Mexico, the capitol city, Merida, is looking much better than I ever dreamed it would.  My mind was set, Mexico is bad -- but... please give me some ice cream with the crow I'm eating  :D    Everyone has different needs and mine are unusual.  However, my end-of-life care is closer than I want to admit.

4theloveofsun wrote:
TerrynViv wrote:

Thank you Terry!  I'm a research fanatic as well so I completely understand where you are coming from.  I was fairly certain CR was my pick, but as I looked at CR again (I started researching at least 5 or more years ago as well) I noticed the cost of living isn't as good as it was; all things considered.  When I looked at the cost of housing, moving, import taxes,etc., it was big $$$.  Import taxes are almost a deal breaker when I consider I have to buy everything I've accumulated over a lifetime AGAIN.  It's like being 18 again: crappy dishes, crappy silverware, crappy cutlery, crappy cookware, crappy car, crappy beds, crappy sound system, crappy TV, crappy linens, etc. etc.  That was okay when I was 18, but I'm not 18 and I have zero interest in purchasing the comforts of home all over again.  It really would be cost prohibitive to replace much of what I have.  I would have to make do... If I have to I will but it appears there may actually be a better overall alternative...

I decided to research again after calculating the "real" cost of moving to CR. I hadn't given any consideration to Mexico but many (a majority) of the retirement/live abroad "experts" (if there is such a thing) have consistently rated Mexico higher than CR for several years in a row.  Yucatan Mexico, the capitol city, Merida, is looking much better than I ever dreamed it would.  My mind was set, Mexico is bad -- but... please give me some ice cream with the crow I'm eating  :D    Everyone has different needs and mine are unusual.  However, my end-of-life care is closer than I want to admit.

Be careful to note who you are taking advice from re moving to Mexico. Make sure it's not some of these international living experts who have a vested interest in selling you tours or property or etc.

I have not been all over Mexico for a number of years - precisely because my family members there tell me how it is getting more and more dangerous and I personally have heard stories from Mexicans who told me about kidnappings and beatings etc in areas that used to be safe or much safer.

One person I know was pulled from his car and beaten half to death. Another I know had a family member kidnapped, raped and killed. Kidnappings and robberies at gunpoint or knife point are just too common for me to want to move there.

But yeah, it's much cheaper than Costa Rica and yeah, there is more variety of quality products at good prices.

Another difference - though i'm not sure: Can you still not own property there, as a foreigner, but have to lease it for 99 years? I'd have to check on that but it used to be that way. Do your homework, but just like we say about Costa Rica, before moving there go to the area you want to live and rent there awhile before moving there! Just to make sure you want to live there.

Maybe there are places to live in Mexico that are still safe. If so please tell me where, I'll research it and ask about it.

The bit about not owning property outright really turned us off back in the day!

samramon wrote:
4theloveofsun wrote:
TerrynViv wrote:

Be careful to note who you are taking advice from re moving to Mexico. Make sure it's not some of these international living experts who have a vested interest in selling you tours or property or etc.

I have not been all over Mexico for a number of years - precisely because my family members there tell me how it is getting more and more dangerous and I personally have heard stories from Mexicans who told me about kidnappings and beatings etc in areas that used to be safe or much safer.

One person I know was pulled from his car and beaten half to death. Another I know had a family member kidnapped, raped and killed. Kidnappings and robberies at gunpoint or knife point are just too common for me to want to move there.

But yeah, it's much cheaper than Costa Rica and yeah, there is more variety of quality products at good prices.

Another difference - though I'm not sure: Can you still not own property there, as a foreigner, but have to lease it for 99 years? I'd have to check on that but it used to be that way. Do your homework, but just like we say about Costa Rica, before moving there go to the area you want to live and rent there awhile before moving there! Just to make sure you want to live there
Maybe there are places to live in Mexico that are still safe. If so please tell me where, I'll research it and ask about it.

It is my understanding that yes, you can own property.  The foreign residency rules/requirements changed (I think in 2012 but I wouldn't swear to it).  In what state does your family in Mexico live?  Compare Watts CA, NY City, or the S. side of Chicago to Iowa or rural IL for a better perspective of geographical "safety".   The world is changing; life EVERYWHERE is hard and people are struggling as they never have; at least since the great depression of 1929.  Whatever you want to call 2007-2008 (recessions, housing crash, debt crisis) it was worse than the depression of 1929 (a much larger population of people was/is effected).  Millions (more likely billions) of people in the US and abroad are continuing to face hunger without a home as a result.  We didn't "bounce back" and we won't.  Things will never be the same.  The entire globe suffered and continues to suffer.  When the price of petroleum tripled no one escaped the inevitable consequences.  The world is interdependent; when a major economic catastrophe strikes one powerful country, the world suffers. Everything you see, feel, and touch has petroleum associated with it in someway -- ye-gads -- hard to believe one resource can be so important to everyone on earth.  If you want to live "off-grid" prepare for a life of back breaking work and an early death with zero modern comforts.  I've done it -- the family farm that was homesteaded by great grandparents -- all I can say is thank God for city water and electricity!  Modernizing the farm wasn't easy either.  Raising and dressing your own meat is more than a little difficult.  Fun when I was young but not so fun as I grew older and wore out.  Why do you think families had 8-12 children prior to industrialization  -- so the younger and stronger could continue the work of surviving.  Sorry, most definitely  :offtopic:  hehehe   This was only meant to be a comparison of safety among geographical locations, not me on my soap box about world economics  :sick

I know Expats Daves friends and they don't live in Mexico any longer - they are back in Canada......hmmmm.  Yea they will tell you all the great things about Mexico but you must keep in mind they didn't like Costa Rica - had trouble with a lot of the local expats.   Perhaps it was just they had a bad experience in Costa Rica.  Both places are what you make them but Mexico is definately cheaper - Costa Rica is must safer in my opinion.

4theloveofsun wrote:
samramon wrote:
4theloveofsun wrote:

Another difference - though I'm not sure: Can you still not own property there, as a foreigner, but have to lease it for 99 years? I'd have to check on that but it used to be that way. Do your homework, but just like we say about Costa Rica, before moving there go to the area you want to live and rent there awhile before moving there! Just to make sure you want to live there

It is my understanding that yes, you can own property.  The foreign residency rules/requirements changed (I think in 2012 but I wouldn't swear to it).  In what state does your family in Mexico live?  Compare Watts CA, NY City, or the S. side of Chicago to Iowa or rural IL for a better perspective of geographical "safety".   The world is changing; life EVERYWHERE is hard and people are struggling as they never have; at least since the great depression of 1929.  Whatever you want to call 2007-2008 (recessions, housing crash, debt crisis) it was worse than the depression of 1929 (a much larger population of people was/is effected).  Millions (more likely billions) of people in the US and abroad are continuing to face hunger without a home as a result.  We didn't "bounce back" and we won't.  Things will never be the same.  The entire globe suffered and continues to suffer.  When the price of petroleum tripled no one escaped the inevitable consequences.  The world is interdependent; when a major economic catastrophe strikes one powerful country, the world suffers. Everything you see, feel, and touch has petroleum associated with it in someway -- ye-gads -- hard to believe one resource can be so important to everyone on earth.  If you want to live "off-grid" prepare for a life of back breaking work and an early death with zero modern comforts.  I've done it -- the family farm that was homesteaded by great grandparents -- all I can say is thank God for city water and electricity!  Modernizing the farm wasn't easy either.  Raising and dressing your own meat is more than a little difficult.  Fun when I was young but not so fun as I grew older and wore out.  Why do you think families had 8-12 children prior to industrialization  -- so the younger and stronger could continue the work of surviving.  Sorry, most definitely  :offtopic:  hehehe   This was only meant to be a comparison of safety among geographical locations, not me on my soap box about world economics  :sick

My family members live in  Guadalajara which is a big city yes, but it used to be "mostly safe"; now it is "relatively unsafe". I would not live nor buy in MX, it is a country RUN BY drug cartels, much like Colombia used to (?) be...

Yes "things are tough all over" but I think things have gotten especially more tough for Ticos and for Mexicans, though even more so for Ticos, many of whom work hard but can barely eat well what with gasoline, CAJA, and many normal every day products increasing in price.

Choosing Costa Rica over Mexico is a no-brainer for me. Mexico has changed MUCHO for the worse in the past 5-10 years!