New members of the Uruguay forum, introduce yourselves here - 2021

Hi all,

Newbie on the Uruguay forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Uruguay if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi Julien,

are you in Uruguay or just investigating?

Hello ColoniaMan,

The Expat.com team and Julien, who is by the way the founder of Expat.com (not based in Uruguay), welcome you aboard!  :)

Feel free to ask any expat-related questions you may have by creating new topics on the Uruguay forum . :)

All the best,

Diksha
Team Expat.com

P.S. On second glance, I see that you have joined our Expat.com community for quite a few months now. Keep us updated, via future posts on the Uruguay forum, about the progress you have made during these last months  :idontagree:

Hello,

After losing everything to the Pandemic, I have decided if I am going to have to totally start over I might as well do it someplace I want to be, that also is as inclusive as I can find.  As a born and raised Northern California Cowboy, who enjoys Cannabis and is not heterosexual, Uruguay looks like a nice quiet and friendly little country.

However, now comes the hard part.  As a single man, finding a new career and life in Uruguay to satisfy my pandemic forced midlife crisis.   Luckily, I have advantages over the average person.  I have lived a life not just on both sides of the tracks, but also way out in the fields too.   

I walked away from a career I was building in the Fortune 500 world because I was outed at work, and harassed to the point I just walked out the door one day.  Packed up the ex husband and our stuff, then fled back to the "Blue State" of CA.

Just before the Pandemic I was the maintenance manager for two single building properties in downtown Seattle with a combined asset value of over $125 million.  My job was to make sure a 7yo (120 units) and an 11yo (57 units) building looked as close to brand new as possible.   When the Pandemic hit I was job hunting hard due to the owners group's obvious sociopolitical leanings during my tenure there.

The only negative is my Spanish has gotten almost non existent over the years.  Which I have begun working on.  I also even took a day to throw together a page on my site with some information about me.  However I am not sure I am allowed to post external links, so I shall refrain, unless given the OK..?

So, why am I here?  Well, an 'All of the above' catch all, of job hunting, friends, networking, the list goes on to make my permanent immigration to Uruguay as smooth, swift, and painless as possible.  Yes,  I am leaving and never looking back! 

Here is where I am to date:
  I submitted for my Passport renewal, who knows how long that will take?
  I am currently awaiting my COVID shot series since I am not in a high risk category
  I am already liquidating my life here in the United States, selling, donating, etc.
  I have been scanning several job sites, but that has been of very poor result.
  I have familiarized myself with the immigration laws and the basic geography of
  Uruguay.

*Crosses Fingers* I hope this site brings some positive outcomes for me, because I sure need it.

John

Hi John

Welcome :-)  I'm sorry you experienced so much during this terrible time, but I'm sure you will love Uruguay!

I fell in love with the country a long time ago and have visited twice (2016 and 2019).  My daughter and I were actually planning to move to Uruguay in 2020, but we all know what happened then...

We have an online business so don't have to rely on finding jobs.  Maybe you should consider building an online business while you're getting things ready for your move?

We're now waiting to see when we'll be allowed to go, as we can't wait to live there permanently.  There are now so many factors  out of our control to consider, so for now we're still in South Africa.

It is an amazing country!  We're also learning Spanish as it definitely helps to be able to speak it in Uruguay.

It would be great if you kept in touch and let me know how you progress.

Have a great day!

Regards
Marlene

While the online business deal is great for some, it is not my thing.  I am a problem solver, fixer, and artistic creator.  I am not nor ever have been any type of marketer, salesman, or consumer mentality.  In fact attempting to 'market' or 'sell' things tends to make my skin crawl.  Also, I don't really want to join the ranks of the millions of 'starving artists' online already LOL.

One of my reasons for moving to Uruguay is to find a place where I can be creative and artistic again.  Since technically, I have NOT been living in a safe or healthy environment since the Pandemic broke out. In fact, I live in 'enemy' territory.  There are Confederate, Nazi, and other white supremacist flags flying openly in my neighbors yards.  Several men from my area have been picked up by the FBI for the January 6th siege of the Capital.   Welcome to the REAL America.

I literally do not have the space to draw, paint or sculpt where I am trapped.  Nor do I  even have a proper desk or area to write my novel.   As I sit and write this, I am pinned between a wall and the side of my bed on my small gaming chair.  My keyboard is on my lap, and my screen is perched on the top of a small clothing curio, because I can't even fit a real set of furniture in my tiny room to be comfortable.  While outside would be nice, we have gotten over six feet of snow in the last three weeks, so that kind of ruins that.   Needless to say a very toxic environment, that has worn me down.

Before the Pandemic hit, I lived alone in a spacious one bedroom apartment in downtown Seattle and watched the sun set every evening over the Needle from my living room window.   But I will never live in a big city again.  Been there, done that.  I prefer the country way of life, and need do be as far away from America as possible.

John

This is Jimkarl from Colorado USA. Just interested in possible part time retirement in  in the future. Learn about inland places not far from the capital city.

Hi, I'm planning to move to Uruguay with my family. I have 15 years experience working in networks, alarm and security systems, cables installing and supporting. I can also do electrical jobs.
May be you'll help me to find  work? :)
Thank you :)

Sergey, you are likely to have a hard time finding employment in Uruguay even if you speak fluent Spanish.

Nevertheless you can find out more if you do an internet search for things like
uruguay employment for foreigners
uruguay empleo para extranjeros
uruguay empleo computadoras
uruguay empleo red profesional

The last refers to "network of professionals" and not IT jobs having to do with networks although there may be some that you see in that area, doing that search.

Thank's :)
I understand the hard times , but wich kind of job can I find ?

I have been moved to the Czech Republic two years ago.

Hello
My name is Diego.
Although I'm an Uruguay native living in Montevideo, I join this forum to help current and future expats here.
Diego

Hello
My name is Steve. I live in Canada and a native Canadian.
I wish to live in Uruguay.

Title:
I.T. Consultant/Programmer
Project manager / Tech Lead
Horticulture / Agriculture
Auto Performance / Fabrication
Teach English as a second language

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=969439

Thanks!

Closed