EMIGRATING

Hi
  I am a 65 year old woman and I want to emigrate somewhere safe.I live in Durban,South Africa. I thought of Uruguay and did some research but I also came up with some negative feedback.Where is safe. I have a daughter ,a grandson and a son of 22 who want to go with me. Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks

Hello Laiken.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

If you have questions, do not hesitate to ask them.

Thank you,
Aurélie

There is no safe place.  There is no free place.  There are only degrees of danger, degrees of enslavement, and degrees of contamination of the environment.  I decided on Uruguay in 2009 as the lesser of all the evils and am still satisfied I made the right choice.

Laiken,

What do you want from a country?  What do you need in a city you move too?  How do you want to live?

Uruguay is a beautiful country and the people are warm and friendly. 

What cities have you read up on and which were you told to avoid.  Those answers would help us to determine where you should look. 

We loved Frey Bentos and a child would do well there, its very family oriented and even in Mercedes where they have a beautiful park near the waterfront.

Let us know what you have read.

Thanks for replying. What I am looking for is a safe place to live in without being afraid to go anywhere or that my home will be burgled.So far I have only looked at Montevideo and received very negative feedback.I have contacted the Uruguay Embassy in Durban with no reply. How much money will I need,how difficult is it,is it worth moving. I am doing research but I actually do not know where to start

Thanks

Lee

Hi Laiken:
my name's Federico, im Uruguayan, 26 years old, I recommend to you visit the  sities of the Uruguayan newspapers:
links:
www.elpais.com.uywww.observador.com.uy

Is a good way to know the society and start to learn spanish.
I recommend you another pages to visit:
http://internationalliving.com/2012/06/ … 0-a-month/http://www.uruguayproperties.com.uy/en/ … uguay.html

Im available if you have questions...
greetings

Federico

internationalliving.com/countries/uruguay/move/

please visit this website for information, i believe you'll find it very helpful,

all the best

brian.

As an Ameican, are there any places where Americans tend to move to in Uruquay?