Moving to Thailand

Dear members,

I am strongly considering to Thailand. Of course there is a lot to sort out. Visa/homes/insurances/taxes/work.

I am 55 year old so I could go for retirement visa but I don't want to sit at home all days. So my first interest is to find a job. Problem is I have experience in a specific profession. I worked my whole life in all kind of printing business. I have a very wide scale in knowledge and 20 years experience in sales international. But of course I could do also something complete different. I owned an own company for 11 years very successfully and I speak 5 languages but unfortunately not Thai.

Now first focus is to find a job. Are there good companies in Thailand that can assist me to find a suitable job specially in my profession? I am already looking on JobsDB and JobThai. But so far it looks hard to find something. What are my chances and opportunities to find a job?

Looking forwards to some good advise.

Moderated by Priscilla 3 years ago
Reason : off topic - please post in the housing section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi, the easiest way to get yourself deported and banned from the country is to work while on a visa that prohibits working.  Thais are strict about that , hefty fines are a source of income for police, and the informant will be paid a tip. Your property and goods will be pilfered and problem after problem will arise. If you want to work get a proper work visa. Note also that only certain jobs are available to foreigners .  I dont have all the answers but i lived there for a few years and i know quite a bit about the kingdom. Do not hesitate to contact me with any questions you may have.     Terry.

I have lived and worked in Thailand for 22 of the last 27 years so I know some things about this. Thailand frowns upon foreigners working in Thailand doing any jobs that a Thai citizen can do. Therefore, there are very few jobs left for foreigners to do here legally. Most do Vlogs, Youtube videos about Thailand in any language other than Thai, teaching English in language centers, teaching at English programs in high schools and universities, etc. There are a list of jobs that the Thai gov't will allow foreigner to do, but it isn't that diverse and specific to things that Thais cannot do here that well so they allow foreigners to do them. You could apply for an ED visa and take a TEFL class and then teach English at one of the types of places mentioned above.
GOOD LUCK!

To confirm what has been said; Jaycee is pretty correct. Just remember that if you want to teach English in a Thai University, you must have a masters degree in either Arts or Education

Thanks for the information. I already did some investigation and it is true that it is not easy. For sure i like to do all in a good legal way. Teach looks like one of the few options that is realistic.

However i wonder if it is the only way. Now covid is still active so there is no hurry. So i better investigate well. What is possible to start an own company? I know 51% will be of thai government but it is a way to make a monthly income. Or am i wrong?

Hi, 51 % of any company will be thai nominees,  you pay them a yearly dividend of about 5$ us.  You must be able to show approx 8 million bt in an account . Nominees iv used in the past have been relatives of the accountant i used when setting up the company.   Have you thought about a 10 year VIP visa ? Well worth looking into. Good luck .   Terry

I too am looking to move to Thailand. Fortunately I have pensions to allow me to live a reasonable life there. However I intend to increase my income utilizing the digital economy. I have set up a website *** which at the moment is there for people to connect with me to discuss options. For Thailand being a digital nomad is a sensible option considering how difficult it is to obtain well-paid work. If this is something you might be interested in then pop over and connect to see if I can assist.

Moderated by Cheryl 3 years ago
Reason : Auto-promotion
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct