Opening small business -> how could I get a stay/work permit (kitas)?

hi there,
i am seeking for some tipps or information for my situation.
I went to indonesia few times within last 3 years already on b211a visit visa.

i also now have an indo girlfriend (wni) who is shareholder in a local PT. Myself, I would like to go back to indo and earn money by starting my own (micro/small) business there. Just like opening a coffee shop or renting a room via Airbnb for example.

Now, I informed myself about visa types and that stuff, but I just don't find a legal way to do it. Can we sort it out here? from my understand these would be my options:

1) Investor Kitas -> I don't have a PMA PT I can invest into and don't have the money to set up a new PMA PT (10 billion IDR). I also can't invest in the company of my girlfriend as it is a PT, not PMA PT.

2) Working Kitas  -> I don't have a bachelor university degree ( i have a german apprenticeship degree but it seems not enough) also no german company which would sponsor me from germany. Indonesian company could be available for me.

3) Spouse Kitas -> We are not married yet and don't want to marry just for visa purposes, also it would take lot of time first

So all options don't work for me 🙁

Did I oversee any other option? Is there really no other option for a foreigner to start a small business? I mean, with creating a small business I also would like to create jobs for locals there, why do they make it that difficult ?

I got some messages from agencies and they offered me to open PMA company under my name with virtual office for totally around about 40.000.000 IDR. Is this a rip-off or usual price? Through their connections etc they say I would not need to really invest that 10 billion IDR into that PMA. But actually setting up a full company for small business still seems bit too much for me. I think Entertainment Kitas is what would I would need, but this is open for a few sections only :(

thanks a lot for your advices!

Hi toby_germany,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I would advise you to check the Indonesia expat guide where you will find some useful information about setting up of businesses in the country.
I would also recommend you to go through the other articles as they might also guide you in the formalities that you need to undertake.

Please feel free to read the topics that we have online and to go through the testimonies of our members.

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com Team

Hi Toby, said that is not really a good time to invest or look for a job in Indonesia, unfortunally there are not other options to open a business or get a job in Indonesia in addition to those u already known.
To open a PT/PMA with a virtual office is not an option if u want to run a cafe or other specific business, as u can see reading this article
https://greenhouse.co/blog/the-use-of-v … office-id/
So be careful with some agencies that promise easy way to do things.

Toby, if it were that simple to start a small business, then Bali and much of Indonesia would be inundated with foreign-owned businesses. As for getting married and the spousal visa, under normal circumstances I don't think it takes that much time.At least it would allow you to live in Indonesia.

Hi priscilla, thanks for welcoming me, even I am registered since long time ago. :) I will check your links later on, yes.

Shill88, But with difficult starting conditions like that, they actually motivate people just to marry for visa purposes, right?

Hi Marcello, thanks for that link. You say I would not be allowed to run a cafe with virtual office, but I dont see i limitation of that bussiness in that list, do you?

If I want to rent a room to either local people or international people, I would need a physical office because it falls under property developers, right?

Well I assumed that you planned to get married to her in the future. If that is the case then pushing the date forward is not really marrying for visa purposes. Of course I don't agree with fake marriages for the purpose of getting a visa.

toby_germany wrote:

Hi priscilla, thanks for welcoming me, even I am registered since long time ago. :) I will check your links later on, yes.

Shill88, But with difficult starting conditions like that, they actually motivate people just to marry for visa purposes, right?

Hi Marcello, thanks for that link. You say I would not be allowed to run a cafe with virtual office, but I dont see i limitation of that bussiness in that list, do you?

If I want to rent a room to either local people or international people, I would need a physical office because it falls under property developers, right?

Well Toby,  if u open a cafè u need a proper space, not a virtual office, or u are thinking to sell virtual coffe to virtual costumer?

Hello brother this is my WhatsApp number.  Contact me for your kitas pr visa if interest

Moderated by Diksha 3 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum for security reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Toby,

If you were married to an Indonesia you would qualify for a family KITAS that would let you stay in Indonesia but you would not be legally allowed to work or run a business. To be able to work you would need an employer to apply for a work permit on your behalf.

To run a business you would have to form a PT PMA company. The Indonesia Government requires that it be formed with 10 Billion Capital, but it many cases the paid up capital needs to only be 25% or 2.5 Billion. The quote you got for doing the company formation of 40 Million is within the range normally charged, but because of the slowdown in business due to COVID there are reputable agents that have reduced their fees even more. PM me and I can put you in touch with them.