Any advice on area, property type, pitfalls

Hi I am hoping to buy a property around Alicante or surrounding areato retire to with my partner we are mid 60's - I guess my thoughts are what type of property to buy, an Appartment, house, on a complex - we want to be close to the sea and restaurants and life in general. I worry I am building an unrealistic ideal into the reality of living there, there must be downsides ! We are not poor and not rich, just really tired after both working since we were teenagers. I guess I am looking for reassurance on this forum  that life is good, from people who have been brave enough to do it - we are hoping to be there within 6 months. If you have any advice on area, property type, pitfalls, I would be very grateful and buy you a beer when we finally get there !!

Hello palison,

Welcome to Expat.com  :cheers:

Please note that I have started a new thread with your post on the Spain forum. This way, it will increase your chances of getting replies.

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team.

Hola!

Me and my boyfriend made the move from the UK to Spain at the start of July. We're in Tarragona, not Alicante, but so far we literally have no complaints (aside from how difficult the internet companies are to deal with 😂) and we're really happy with our decision.

The only thing I would say is that Brexit forced our hand a little, and I don't think anyone really knows what the process will be to move here from the UK after January... but the sun shines just as much as they say it does, and the beaches, food and people are all absolutely amazing.

We did move here during the height of lockdown, so we haven't really had the true experience of living here yet, and there's a lot we're looking forward to doing next year, but we couldn't recommend it more :)

As far as properties go we have been looking at a lot over the last few months and you really do spot some gems. We're trying to avoid flats and duplexes, just because you can't guarantee that the block will remain inhabited, which can affect your resale price, and I also get a bit scared of fires haha, but if you go 15 minutes plus in from the coast (in Tarragona at least) you start to find some really awesome houses for the same kind of prices as the flats on the coast. We use idealista, habitaclia and pisos to look at properties, all I can recommend is to look at as many as you can!

Please let me know if you have any questions or theres anything I can help with :)

Elle

Hola

Thanks for the information. Well done making the move during lockdown that takes some organising. We are hoping to find a rural house too, but unfortunately as our flights have now been cancelled we can't view anything so thanks so much for the info on where to look, we are going to keep trying and hope a no deal brexit won't complicate things too much. Enjoy the sunshine, it's very bleak in Blighty ☹️ Good luck and I would like to stay in touch, so pleased you are loving it Thanks Sue

I am so sorry to hear that, what a blow! We were originally supposed to move in April, and we had to rearrange the journey many times, so don't loose faith :)

A lot of estate agents are offering virtual viewings, which aren't the best but might allow you to get an idea of what certain areas are like. You can ask about access to shops, whether the urbanization allows swimming pools, or extensions, or has any issues with services etc., and keep a list so that when you do make it over here to view places you may already have crossed a few areas off your list.

And please do stay in touch :) good luck with everything, I'm praying for a smooth Brexit transition for you!

Elle

Hello, my name is Daddy Kan, I'm from Ghana live Spain, so please your from UK so do you to move in Spain or?

Hola!

Yes we managed to move from the UK to Spain in July! :) how are you finding it here?

Elle

Oh  nice, now I'm understand you, yeah, Elle you know Spain is beautiful country in Europe, you know thing are very cheap also in my place, place I'm living in Spain is Almería, many people's come from others countries for holidays in here Almería, everything is very cheap, yeah, so if you want to visit Spain is better Almería, Almería many villages they are speak English, many radio station speaking English also, thank you, may God protect and guide all the days of your life from covid19, stay be bless

Thank you! My mum has been looking at Almeria, and we will definitely visit at some point :)

We haven't found many expats around here yet, but we love Barcelona and don't want to be too far away!

Thank you for your kind words and wishes, I also wish you all the best. Stay safe, happy and healthy :)

YEAH BARCELONA ALSO VERY NICE BECAUSE EVERY SUMMER I'M WORK ON BARCELONA ALSO, AFTER SUMMER I'M BACK TO ALMERÍA, SO YOU CAN TAKE YOUR DECISION BECAUSE MYSELF I LIKE ALMERIA OR MADRID BECAUSE IT'S VERY BEAUTIFUL ALMERIA THINGS ARE VERY CHEAP FOR EXAMPLE HOTEL OR IF YOU WANT TO RENT HOUSE IT'S VERY CHEAP, FOOD AND EVERYTHING IS VERY VERY CHEAP, GOD BLESS YOU, STAY WITH BLESSING