Belgium citizenship application in 1000 Brussels commune

Hello everyone,

I am an Indian citizen and I have acquired permanent residency of Belgium and EU long-term residency by working continuously in Belgium for a duration of 5 years. So, basically I hold a 'D' card now and hence, I am now registered in popular register.

I'm now planning to apply for Belgian citizenship and my commune is 1000 Brussels.

As I know, those who have worked continuously in Belgium for a period of 5 years and are registered in population register don't have to provide a proof of one of the national language skills as their 5 years work experience covers language, social and economic integration requirements. But I came to know from some friends in Belgium that in atleast certain communes of Brussels, when people apply for citizenship, police visits them to check their language skills despite their 5 years work experience in Belgium.

Does anyone know about the situation in 1000 Brussels commune whether something similar happens there as well?

Also, I would like to know about birth certificate requirements for Belgian citizenship application. Is it enough to have birth certificate appostiled from Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), New Delhi or does it also need to be attested from Belgian embassy in India?

Also, do I need to get my appostiled birth certificate (appostation is done in English by MEA, New Delhi) translated and legalized in one of the national languages of Belgium? If so, can the translation and legalization be done in India or does it need to be done only in Belgium by a sworn translator?

If legalization and attestation in Belgium needs to be done, please help me with contact details of someone who can do so in Belgium and New Delhi (my birth certificate is in Hindi).

Thanks in advance for your response.

Best Regards,
Abhi

Hi Abhi,

I am just giving you my two cents.

Nationality rules are generally the same even if you apply any where in Belgium.

If one of the allowable factor is 5 years of continuous employment, then generally there is no reason for any one to ask you for language as well.
The application form clearly states substitute documents, in this case for instance if you do not have language or social integration, economic integration is accepted.
I dont see why the commune will still want to see your language skills by sending some officials home.

Regarding birth certificate, it needs to be apostille and translated in local language (I presume french for you) by a sworn translator. Its better to do translation by a sworn translator in Belgium itself.
Try https://www.verlingua.be/ for this service.

It seems like a painful process but if your documents are in order, it is pretty straight forward.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Hello,

Well... it's not mandatory as you've worked for 5 years in a row, but providing an A2 certificate in one of our 3 languages is a big help to proof that you are truly intending to become a Belgian citizen.

My significant other got it after only 6 months of lessons... (2 * +/-80 hours), but the test/exam can be done way before as you only need 29/100 to get that certificate :huh:  (but if you do follow the lesson you easily get 80-90 / 100)

Now let's be honest, you want to become Belgian, but you're afraid to speak in basic FR/NL/DE to the police?
I'm not judging you, as you've to right to request a declaration of nationality based on 5 years of work in Belgium, but you've to realize that the administration will only talk to you in one of the official language when you get the nationality.
So, how are you going to do in the future?

As an advice, make sure you've at least the super low level A2 in one of our language. It's the real basic: (who/how much/where/I'm ok/shopping/doctor/to be/have/...)

No need for translation if your documents are in english + apostille.
French, Dutch, German, English, Spanish, Italian or Portuguese official documents are accepted in EU.

Good luck :cheers:

AlexFromBelgium wrote:

Hello,

No need for translation if your documents are in english + apostille.
French, Dutch, German, English, Spanish, Italian or Portuguese official documents are accepted in EU.

I am not sure where you are getting this information. The clear requirement in the nationality application document is to have a birth certificate translated in French or Dutch.

I have an Indian birth certificate that is in english but still needed sworn translation in dutch.

Your refusal to learn one of the official Belgian languages ​​clearly shows your lack of interest in integrating in Belgium.  By your behavior, you just show that you just want a European passport in order to avoid the visa problem.

The financial part is just used to demonstrate that you are not going to be a social charge for the Belgian state.

For the administration, if you are not socially integrated into everyday Belgian life, it will be considered that your partner and your children will do the same.  You're only going to hang out with the Indian community and that's it.

747dash8 wrote:

I am not sure where you are getting this information. The clear requirement in the nationality application document is to have a birth certificate translated in French or Dutch.

I have an Indian birth certificate that is in english but still needed sworn translation in dutch.

https://diplomatie.belgium.be/en/servic … h_dutch_or

French, Dutch, German, English, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese are allowed.
If I remember well it's a European law, but I've to check... and no time right now, sorry :(

Now... in some commune (let's be more specific: some of the Brussels's one), some people working there can be assho*** and will just say: I can't read in English, I don't understand and will refuse the document.
That's illegal... but now the real question would be: do you want to fight against it? or translate the document in the language used in the commune and everybody's happy?
Just my 2 cents...

Thanks for the information Alex.

Indeed our commune asked us to bring it in Dutch / French and legalized.

Thanks for the official link. Learnt something new today. Did not know that they are legally obliged to accept English documents too.

Cheers.

@747dash8 and @AlexFromBelgium: Thanks for the insights! Do you know if posted workers (deputes) are eligible for Belgian citizenship? I worked here in Belgium for 5 years as a depute from my Indian company and for those 5 years, contributed to social security fund in India. After completing my 5 years of stay in Belgium, I have now started contributing to Belgian social security fund from 2020 onwards.

Do you think/know whether this will create any issues with my citizenship application?

@Phipiemar Hi, I'm planning to learn French or Dutch in second half of 2021 but don't want to delay my citizenship process due to it.

As far as integrating with Belgian society and culture is concerned, I work for a Belgian company (as a sub-contractor) and live with Europeans and couple of them are Belgians too!

So, I very much appreciate the Belgian culture and really want to integrate well into the Belgian society :-)

Hi Abhi2021,

How did it go with your application?

Were you able to figure out the procedure for the legalization/apostille of your birth certificate?

I have come across this.
https://diplomatie.belgium.be/en/servic … galisation

My certificate has an apostille (dated 2015). Do you think officials here accept this old apostille from MEA?

Not sure if this e-legalization/appostille is valid for indian birth certificates.
Thanks for your attention.

expat2021 wrote:

Hi Abhi2021,

How did it go with your application?

Were you able to figure out the procedure for the legalization/apostille of your birth certificate?

I have come across this.
https://diplomatie.belgium.be/en/servic … galisation

My certificate has an apostille (dated 2015). Do you think officials here accept this old apostille from MEA?

Not sure if this e-legalization/appostille is valid for indian birth certificates.
Thanks for your attention.

Nope, all documents need to be fresh. Issued, apostilled and translated not older than last 6 months.  Otherwise municipality will refuse to accept your documents

Edigj wrote:

Nope, all documents need to be fresh. Issued, apostilled and translated not older than last 6 months.  Otherwise municipality will refuse to accept your documents

It really depends from commune to commune sadly.

Me and my family did not have to submit any freshly apostilled  documents. An apostille from 2014 was accepted.

Indeed, it is sad that there is no standardization for the process which causes massive confusion among people.

Cheers!

In past I approached  VFS/similar agent for apostille of my apostilled-birthcertificate. They mentioned that for birth certificate apostille stamp is valid for lifetime. However, for marriage certificate apostille stamp is valid only for 6 months, as the marriage status may change but not the birth status.

I am still figuring out the correctness of my statement.

Left an email to citizenships office in wallonia. Waiting for the past 2 weeks to learn their view about the validity of my apostilled certificate.

Hi everybody,

Can someone confirm me I understand correctly ?

Basically, if you worked 5 years without, even one day, of interruption it is like magic document allowing you to apply for a citizenship.

Otherwise we need,
1 - language A2,
2- social integration - second upper degree in one of 3 languages or 400h training or integration course
3-  economical integration -   468 days of work (independent: 6
trimesters of social contributions) in 5 years.

That is quite easy, A2 and integration course of one month (there free ones).

I meet a person who stated that his application has been rejected because it turned out his employee  did not pay social security for just one day, the uninterpreted work counter restart.

Did someone got it without this 5 years of uninterrupted work ?

I would like to take 10-15 days of unpaid holidays/ year without worrying  for restarting counter each time :D

It is quite handy in case of weddings, or some unforeseen situations. 
In my option the language and integration course are quite requirements