Cost of living in mombasa

Hi all,

I have got a job offer in Kenya , Mombasa. I will be relocating from Mumbai, India to Mobasa in August 2011.
The company has offered me ksh 34,000 per month for food, phone,cable tv, net and day to day house requirements.
Apart from the same, company has offered fully maintained car (fuel & service), furnished accomodation, child school fees, annual passage for family, family medical cover, etc.

I just wanted to know whether KSH 34,000 for a family of 4, self,wife, 2 kids of 11 yrs & 8 yrs are enough for food, phone, cable tv, net and day to day house requirements.

Basically, we are Indian punjabi family.

What would be the cost of full time maid who can also cooks indian dish, full time driver cost, groceries, non-veg (chicken), vegetables, fruits, milk, etc.

Hello tsgarha!

Welcome to Expat.com and congratulation for your work. ;)

I hope that other members will help you soon.

All the best,
Harmonie.

tsgarha wrote:

Hi all,

I have got a job offer in Kenya , Mombasa. I will be relocating from Mumbai, India to Mobasa in August 2011.

Congrats .Mombasa is a beautiful place to live and work in.

The company has offered me ksh 34,000 per month for food, phone,cable tv, net and day to day house requirements.
Yes.Enough if you are sensible.Phones are expensive ,so you just need to be careful.

Apart from the same, company has offered fully maintained car (fuel & service), furnished accomodation, child school fees, annual passage for family, family medical cover, etc.
Depends on which school you choose Aga Khan and Mombasa academy are expensive.

I just wanted to know whether KSH 34,000 for a family of 4, self,wife, 2 kids of 11 yrs & 8 yrs are enough for food, phone, cable tv, net and day to day house requirements.

Basically, we are Indian punjabi family.

What would be the cost of full time maid who can also cooks indian dish, full time driver cost, groceries, non-veg (chicken), vegetables, fruits, milk, etc.

All everyday items (groceries, non-veg (chicken), vegetables, fruits, milk, etc) available in Nakumatt . Nakumatt is a lifeline .

Normally co gives driver .Maids minimum salary is 5000 KSH as per govt rules.You might get one who knows Indian cooking or may not.They can be trained to do all work.

Take sign from maid after paying monthly sal.Ask maid to sign her reporting and departing time .Why? Because the maid may one day get a notice from the labour court saying that you dint pay her sal ,overworked her or dint give leave. And ask for a hefty some .Happened with us so be careful.
Maids are known to steal petty things like sugar ,rice,tea,washing powder ,oil etc.So dont be surprised.

Do not flaunt money or jewellery in front of the maid.Africans(maid ,driver etc) have a habit of borrowing money and not returning .So dont get embarassed and dole out yr hard earned money.Politely decline with some excuse.

Sundays and national holidays are holidays for maids.

I am also in Mumbai .Was in Mombasa for 3+ yrs .It will be a beautiful exp. I know many Indian expats who have been living there for 30 + years.There are good medical ,edu and recreational facilites. Lots of Indians to have a social life with.

review of the laws puts it that a househelp should earn a minimum wage of KSH7500/- per money exculding of medical care and mandatory leave.For a net salary of 35,000 with a family,that just too low.You should bargain for more.This is why,living expenses are skyrocketting as it is at the moment and you would also want to save.From the amount you speak of saving might turnout to be a mammoth task.All the best though as you enjoy our great country!

The salary offered is too low. Though I have just come to Nairobi, the first impression is that its too expensive for expats. Mombasa is unlikely to be very different.

A maid may cost about KES 5000 and a driver upwards of KES 10000 (minimum). Cable with Indian Channels may cost about KES 3500, Net over the same cable another KES 1500. Above alone totals to a minimum of KES 20000. So whats left for food and misc. comforts? A Punjabi wants to eat well and enjoy life. Isn't it?

Dear Bloggers,

I had just been offered to start to work for a company in Mombasa and wonder if the numbers are ok for the local living standard : (2600USD basic salary + bonuses)  + car with driver+ House in good area+ 10days  hollyday with airplane tickets ebery 3 monhs .
It this good offer for Mombasa if you are single ? Are this money for having descent living standard there?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

kroidev wrote:

Dear Bloggers,

I had just been offered to start to work for a company in Mombasa and wonder if the numbers are ok for the local living standard : (2600USD basic salary + bonuses)  + car with driver+ House in good area+ 10days  hollyday with airplane tickets ebery 3 monhs .
It this good offer for Mombasa if you are single ? Are this money for having descent living standard there?

I think if you are getting housing and and transport it is sufficient.You can buy almost everything from Nakumaat but it is a little pricey.Imported goods are more expensive but you can get almost all of the basics.

That sounds fine - Mombasa is a bit cheaper than Nairobi too.

kroidev wrote:

Dear Bloggers,

Yes.
Very good.
I'd be very happy for that salary in Mombasa

Dear Friends,

I shall be tentatively migrating alone to Mombasa from Bombay, got a job offer. Need to know the exact standard and cost of living in Mombasa. Later my wife and 2 kids (Aged 7 & 2) shall accompany me.

How much rentals for the apartment ( 2-3 BHK) ?
Maids ? Groceries ? Utilities ?
School fees ? etc.

Hi dharmesh007 and welcome to Expat.com!

You may also start a new thread on Mombasa forum for better visibility.;)

Harmonie.:)

Cost of living in MSA ...on witch living standard, tax free as Diplomatic Official or Expat ?
My personal experiences after 20 years in Kenya living in Nairobi,Kisumu and Mombasa with a Family of 6 are relevant for a Misionary-Daktari's wallet:
Count per head (all incl. school-fees, health-care, car,housing, security,incl.Vet. for two German Shepards)Ksh 100.000 per month to be on the save side.

papakiloalfa

Hai all!
     My husband has got a job for 3000 USD per month in mombassa!!! we are planning to shift there and we have a five year old kid!!! is it a decent salary to live in mombassa with good housing and education?? how is the schooling in mombassa?? is there any international schools? How safe is mombassa? where will i get information regarding conversion of USD to KSH?

sneha 1980 wrote:

Hai all!
     My husband has got a job for 3000 USD per month in mombassa!!! we are planning to shift there and we have a five year old kid!!! is it a decent salary to live in mombassa with good housing and education?? how is the schooling in mombassa?? is there any international schools? How safe is mombassa? where will i get information regarding conversion of USD to KSH?

hey sneha1980,

$3000 is roughly Kshs 258,000 (One US Dollar is roughly Kshs 86 - (($3000*86))

Mombasa is a little bit lower in cost of living compared to Nairobi. Now if you were to consider the house rent, i'd say a decent house would cost you around 30,000-40,000 per month on rent (maybe a two or three bedroom).

there are many schools here, i having finished my schooling here. most of the private schools follow the U.K IGCSE curriculum so your child will get decent education.

Mombasa is mostly safe, no problems here.

If you want information on conversation from Us Dollars to Kshs, try the website, Google for the latest currency exchange rates. it changes every day.

Now, your husband will need to confirm with the his company if he will get any benefits with his salary package i.e will the company provide a house, pay for expenses, school fees or is that included in his $3000 salary package.

Well, hope all this info helps

Hope you have a great time in Mombasa

If you require any other additional information, lemme know

Cheers