How much to earn in nairobi on job

Hi, I am considering a job offer which requires me to settle in nairobi with family ( wife & 2 primary school kids ). Company will take care of housing/car/food expense. I want to know how much salary would I ask my employer to survive here, considering all other expenses.

Hi sunnydel!

Welcome to Expat.com ;)

Armand

Sunny, If house/car/food is being provided by the company, all that you need the salary is for enjoyment, savings and the unforeseen. Just keep in mind that Income Tax will be 30% flat. Medical treatment is very expensive.
Make sure that house/car/food expenses are provided tax free.

Thanks ! Tuldha for very good input. Just would like to know minimum salary in US $ terms in case 3 facilities provided are tax free so that I can negotiate it with employers.
A quick reply is very much needed.
Thanks again !

sunnydel wrote:

Thanks ! Tuldha for very good input. Just would like to know minimum salary in US $ terms in case 3 facilities provided are tax free so that I can negotiate it with employers.
A quick reply is very much needed.
Thanks again !

Sunny,

It is very difficult to advise you on how much you should ask as salary, as it would depend on your job profile. Even if I knew your job profile, I won't frankly know about prevailing salary levels. But keep in mind that you most probably don't want to just survive but do more than that. Else why would you migrate from India to Kenya! I could, however, be wrong.

In any case it needs to borne in mind that bringing up young children could be quite expensive as both education as well as medical treatment is very expensive here.

Best strategy will be to ask for an offer from employer rather than suggesting an amount. Then you can ask around on this forum whether that will be good amount for keep you going here.

You should also check if employer would provide medical insurance for entire family and if so what all it would cover and to what extant. And of course bear in mind that all your benefits and salary are taxable.

Hi, Tuldha,
On tax part, even if company say that utilities are free, does that mean that it will still be taxable & be bear by me ?
If I don't quote any figure then it may be possible that employer may not give enough time to get back to them.....

sunnydel wrote:

Hi, Tuldha,
On tax part, even if company say that utilities are free, does that mean that it will still be taxable & be bear by me ?
If I don't quote any figure then it may be possible that employer may not give enough time to get back to them.....

If facilities offered are agreed to be tax free for you, it is assumed that taxes if any will have to be borne by the employer. All that your contract has to state that these facilities will be offered to you tax-free and that tax, if any, will be borne by the employer.

Sorry, as explained earlier, I can not comment on the salary part.

OK Thanks!! I understand your point.

Hi, don't know if it can help but am an expat from Belgium and after 2 years in Nairobi, I can say that in order to maintain a living standard I was used to in Belgium, I need a salary here of between 50 and 75% of what I was earning in Belgium.
Now I'm hoping you can extrapolate that to your home country...
As Tuldha has said, it's difficult to advise.