Cost of living in Geneva

I have received an offer to work in Geneva ... 66,300 Gross a year
My wife is pregnant, she is swiss and i have been told that the government gives 1000 francs after the birth and 220 francs each month as a support money.

Monthly i will be making around 5500 swiss francs gross, will this be enough to support my family??? considering I have some savings.

Hi and welcome on board druiz!

I hope other members will help you soon :)

Regards
Armand

Hi Druiz,

5'500 CHF a month sounds like a lot of money, particularly if you compare it to US$ or Euro with the current exchange rates.

Switzerland, however, is an expensive country and Geneva is one of the most expensive cities with (for Swiss standards) high taxes and (for anyone's standards) extreme high accomodation costs. Health insurance (mandatory!) will also dig quite a hole in your budget. www.comparis.ch is a good site to check out and compare
- tax levels
- health insurance costs
- medical costs (health insurance will not cover the first 300 CHF per person per year, and will pay only 90% of the next 7'000 CHF per person per year. Costs related to birth, however, are covered for 100% by the insurance)

The exact amount of money that the government will give after birth of a child and per month per child depends on the canton where you are living and/or working (as almost everything varies from canton to canton). For the canton of Geneva, it is 1'000 CHF after birth and 200 CHF each month. More info on www.ccgc.ch (in French, couldn't find an English version of the site - well, Geneva is French speaking so you should get used to that language anyway...)

Hope this helps,
Twan.

Hi Druiz,

CHF5,500 gross/month sounds tight. However, it all depends on your lifestyle. Geneva is very expensive and you'll have to get over the sticker-price shock.

When we first moved to GVA we found ourselves in a similar situation... and we managed. However, I know people who simply cannot give up their going out, fine dining, fun shopping, etc.

Check out the true cost of living and saving in Geneva: genevalunch.com/guides

And best of luck!

L