Questions About Shipping

I plan to mail a few boxes of personal belongings when I move to Py.  I hope you can help answer my questions.

For books or clothing, for example, do I have to list each item and itemize a price list on the packing slip or can I just give a total value for the box?

I understand that I need to obtain a Bill of Lading from the Py Consulate in my country.  Do I take my open boxes to be inspected or does the consulate just stamp my packing slip?

Is it wise to mail "non-valuables" through the post or should I pay extra to ship them through DHL?

I understand that customs charges 40% on everything over $100.  Is this per box or do they tally the value of all my boxes combined?

Can I receive my boxes without a cedula?  If I've applied for it, what proof can I show?

Thank you kindly.

Good day,

I have also been asking a bit in terms of shipping some personal items back to PY from Portugal.
Received a sugestion towards a contractor - http://www.servimex.com.py/servicios.html - a sugestion not a recomendation, and i hear som much bad thing in terms of postal services in PY.

Spite this is an "old" post, the all shipping is quite updated to me.

Mind if i ask how you solved this issue ? Have you gone trought the Extra luggage fees solution ?

thanks for your time
Paulo Pereira

The import of your own goods are free. that is, the first year you will be registered, or registering here.
vehicles, motorbikes pay a tax.
You make a packing list, and go with that list to the Paraguayan embassy in your country, to 'legalise' it.
If you have to do it here, then it will cost, and take time...

Thanks for sharing Steve.
From what i got so far, there is a threshold on the importation process ( used either in box shipping and in some cases for excess onboard lugagge ). Process is explained from a shipping supplier https://www.skybox.com.py/es/interna.php

If you are able to put yourself into a legal status of residency aplicant, you might evoque the personal use and thus avoid customs tax fees ( same applies for citizens returning from an expat experience ).

Due to a lot of bad reviews in terms of shipping to PY ( from cost to insurance and reability of service ) , at this stage i will probably use the excess lugagge scenario.

Thank you all for sharing.

Untill now, I never had one problem, with something that didn't arrive, and I don't know Skybox.
Untill now, I worked with postal service, which tends to work better then in my former country, and DHL, which is quiet as good as it was in my country, but, just a bit less,as it clear, airtraffic is less here.

Also, you could search to send your goods in a container ? You could rent for instance 1 cubic meter for about 220€. Most probably, you could get a container thet will go to Fenix port, which is privatly owned, closed off and garded, thus safe.
Depending on the season, it can take a while to get you goods here, as transport goes over a river, and when the waterlevel is low, then certain ships can't reach us..

Thanks Steve.

I cant tell you the numbers of times i read comments about safety, stolen merchandise, paying bribe etc for shipping stuff.
Was most please to hear an expat using "locals" postal services.
If its ok to ask, how long you been in PY using this services ? A timeframe to evaluate if you where "lucky" and had zero bad experience regarding internal postal services.

Thanks again
Paulo

One time, we received a packet, that was repaired in Europe.
Here, they opened the packet, for security reasons, controlled the packet, and noted on the form that something was missing, and even notified my on my rights.
In the four years I'm active here, I consider myself as never have payed any bribe.
I have to say, for my motorbikes, I have been playing hardball. The wanted 2000 € import duty , I payed 200 €, which I considered normal ( was also noted on a form )