Is Paraguay a dangerous place to live in?

Dear forum members,

I have been offered a very interesting post as a teacher in Filadelfia (el Chaco)via the Ministery of Foreign Affairs.
The job seems fantastic:
- nice, respectful students
- very well paid

But... I am quite afraid about health issues in Paraguay, especially the dengue fever; and I just don't want to risk my daughters' (5 and 6 years old) health.

The problem is that I've never been to Paraguay nor would I have time to visit the place before I start to work there.

I have to make a decision by next Friday and I would really appreciate your help/pieces of advice.

Thank you very much.

Hello Cecilia
Listen, if you can take heat, 35`40'C and a north wind you'll only understand when you feel it yourself, THEN GO! A better place/community to bring up your daughter in this world of us you have to go and search far for... (and I'm not even pro-mennonite...) Its one of those few pocket community's left over in this world where its civilized and any criminal activity is topic of the town for weeks because it almost never happens, sure petty-crime is on the rise -show me where not- From the big 3 towns up there Filadelfia is not my personal favourite, but I think even they still leave their cars keys over night stuck in the ignition.

If you are a bit adventurous, can take a bit of heat (Air-Conditioners do exist up there), Mosquitoes (almost no dengue to worry of! Filadelfia is not a zone where that type of Mosquito prosper), and be at peace with it that dust is gonna form a permanent part of you're life, THEN GO is my recommendation.

P.s. Don't know about the "nice, respectful students" part though.You know, children is all over the world the same.  ;)

Dear NicoPY,

thank you so much for your quick reply.

You've really took away a lot of my worries!

The "nice and respectful" students are meant in comparison to students in Berlin who attack their teachers verbally or with knives, etc.

I think that doesn't happen in Filadelfia.

We can stand the heat as we are from Spain. So, this wouldn't be a problem - just an inconvinience.

What you are writing about the "civilized communities" where to bring up our daughters is one of the strongest points for us to accept the offer.

Spent four years living in Germany and have lived most my life in the US.  In comparison, Paraguay, even though it's not in the "first world" (I'd say it's somewhere between third and second world) is remarkably safe even by first world standards.  While NicoPY pointed out how seldom you experience serious crime in the town you may be heading to, I would add that even in Asuncion it is similar.  For a city that size, most major crime is a highlight on the news, sometimes for days at a time. 

As for health issues, I can't talk to issues in the colonies or in the Chaco.  I would recommend NicoPy's advice though as he has much experience in that part of the country. 

I can speak of the overall situation regarding raising kids in Paraguay instead of in the "First World" though.  We are trying to complete our preparations for moving to PY from the US over the next few months.  One of the main reasons we are making the move is we feel it is a much healthier environment in all aspects to raise our 5 year old son in than in the US.  What I have seen of Paraguay over the past 12 years of visiting (my wife is Paraguayan-US) is that it is a society still stuck in the 1950's in many aspects.  Life is simpler, less hectic and all this relates to the way that kids are raised and the affects of modern society on them.

In terms of health care, check out some of the other postings and discussion threads on this forum.  There's a lot of good information regarding medical care and insurances available.  I don't think you'll have too many concerns with this issue, especially if you get some type of coverage through your job.

The "bad" things you will have to contend with, such as the lack of Air Conditioning, mosquito's and possible slow internet or lack of international tv, etc... are basically minor inconveniances.  And for the most part they are either easily dealt with or something that can be overcome with a little effort or at least you learn to live with it. 

Enjoy your adventure if you decide to take the job!

Thanks a lot for your information.

Your replies really encourage me to take the job and start the adventure.

Majbj: Good luck for you and your family in Paraguay!

It is nice paraguay but too hot