Query from UK over Temporary Residence Permit (Withdrawal Agreement)

Hi folks,

Hello to everyone in the forum, and thanks in advance.

I'm UK citizen with a query that I'm hoping some of you might be able to shed light on.

I'm currently registered in Noord Holland, living with my partner.

Towards the end of this year, I should be getting a letter from the IND - an invitation to apply for a Temporary Residence Permit (Withdrawal Agreement), before the UK-Netherlands Brexit transition agreement ends.

Now, there are of course several conditions to qualify for this - which are stated by the IND here.

However, the IND website is vague when it comes to the following point:

" - If you are not an employee or self-employed, you (should) have ...  sufficient resources to support yourself... "

Cool, so if you don't currently have a job, you can qualify with savings.

But how much? It doesn't say.

There is information about income limits for other visa and residence permit types here.

However, I've been advised that a TRP - Withdrawal Agreement is different from a regular TRP, so a different income minimum may apply.

I've had another UK Expat suggest that the limit may be as little as €10k, but the IND website offers no information other than saying that the regular TRP savings floor is €21.5k (approx).

Has anyone looked into this themselves, and can shed any light?

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Some disjointed thoughts in response to your post.

I don't know the answer to your question and from what you've said, nobody will have received the letter yet, so nobody knows the magic number.  Ordinarily, I'd point you to the IND help desk, but the website says they are very busy, so you may have a long wait; they also have a Twitter feed where you can ask non-specific questions, so maybe check that out and ask there.

Having thought about your direct question, I don't see how they can require different savings amounts for different nationalities, it's discriminatory and definitely not how the Dutch do things; there would be an uproar.

You haven't said, but you don't have to apply for temporary residence if you "Stay with a family member, if the family member you are staying with is a Dutch, EU/EEA or Swiss citizen. Or, if this family member has a residence permit for a non-temporary purpose of stay." - link here.

The links you've posted won't be visible until you've made 10 posts (it's built into the Forum to prevent scammers) - sorry.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks for the reply, Cynic.

I'll check out the resources you mentioned.

Some of the links there seem to suggest that savings do not count towards 'sufficient resources', which would be bad news for me! But it's still not entirely clear.

Ah well, thanks again.

Hi again.

Just to add, the moderators have freed up your links, so I could check out the "Required amounts income requirement" you linked to.  Those 1653/1785 are the Dutch minimum wage levels; that won't change because if you earn less than that, you would then be classed as dependant on the State and they would deport you.

The rest of the numbers seem to have been set to either give a single person a dispensation or to ensure that au-pairs are protected financially and Dutch musicians/artists are not undercut by foreigners.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team