Moving to VA from Ireland

Hey Folks

I have an internal job opportunity for a large American multi national company.

If successful I'll move to VA with my wife and 4 kids (2, 5, 7, 12)

My employer will sort all the legal requirements visas ect.. What I don't know is what considered a living wage or to live comfortably in VA (Chantilly, Leesburg, Herndon, Vienna). As great as my employer is they are quite closed in negotiations with wages.
I'm expecting $120k, but I've been told the areas close to the offices are expensive for both rent and purchase.

I understand this is a very ambiguous question, and really depends on our expected standard of living. I know that I'm in a good position but I'm still unsure if the wage will be enough to support 6 people

We live modestly in Ireland at the moment don't intend to live a flash/high life in USA. If we are still in USA by college age the kids will return to Ireland for college education (if feasible) My wife an I will unlikely fund their education.

Any help would be great!

Hi Nabbered,

I know it's been a while since you posted on the forum. I would like to know how things have been going on for you ? Have you been sucessful in landing the job ?

Looking forward to hear from you.

Take care,
Anoushka

Hello Nabbered,

Of all the locations that you listed Vienna will likely be the most expensive one since it has a metro station and is closer to Washington, DC.

Did you end up making the move to Virginia? You can use an app such as Redfin to get an idea of housing prices in the area. Where would your office be located? I live in Northern Virginia and would be happy to give you more information if you still need it.

Best,

Desiree