Close

The USA's most expensive cities

Hello everyone,

What are the most expensive cities to live in the USA? What are the costs of things such as rent, utilities, weekly groceries, dining out, etc.?

What is the lifestyle like in these cities, for expats and locals?

What are the different neighbourhoods like? Are there more affordable areas?

Do you have any experience living in any of the USA's most expensive cities? What was it like?

Which cities in the USA would you recommend? Are there any that offer particularly good value for money when it comes to cost of living?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Los Angeles, San Francisco & New York

New York is very expensive. I have lived in N.Y. since 2010. While some places in New York like upstate could be moderate in cost compared with the 5 boroughs of NY.
I have lived in 3 out of the 5 boroughs in N.Y. and can say that the cost are basically the same [high] except Manhattan that is super expensive in everything except train tickets that cost the same irrespective of where you purchase it in the 5 boroughs.

Whilst cost of living is very high in N.Y., salaries could also be high when compared with other states for same jobs. The pace of life in N.Y. is fast and can add to one's stress level easily. It is a system that never waits for anyone. Nothing is for free in N.Y. as is in life.

One will need to be hardworking and smart to enjoy NY.

For shopperholics it is a perfect place to be as all brands and shops can be found in Manhattan.
Entertainment's and many places open 24/7 in Manhattan.

There are beautiful places to see, high end restaurants to dine and opera squares to unwind.

I love N.Y. city. It's a place that never sleeps. It is a melting pot with all nationalities represented.

I was surprised about Oklahoma City. Real estate is reasonable but food, services, not to mention any kind of alcohol are high.

A new study/report/survey tells you the cheapest countries and lots of other info. The Expat Insider 2017 survey lets you see the world through expat eyes https://www.internations.org/expat-insider/

Expatriate health insurance in the USA

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in the USA

Moving to the USA

Find tips from professionals about moving to the USA

Travel insurance in the USA

Enjoy stress-free travel to the USA