Help to view an Apartment

Hi, Looking for some paid help to pay someone to view an apartment in central Berlin due to being stuck overseas in the lockdown I cannot - can pay 50 Eur just involves viewing and taking some pictures to send me , or if anyone knows of a hire by the hour website in Germany that I could post the job on please get in touch?

Hmmm. I can't give a good answer. Theoretically, why wouldn't someone, say student, like to earn a little money if it just means viewing an apartment? The thing is that anyone renting a decent, affordable apartment will have many takers and the viewing is as much a chance for them to meet the potential renter as for the renter to see the place. For the landlord it is then a total waste of time to show to someone who is not the renter! And virtually nobody in German rents to someone they have not met in person. And even if they would agree to this, then you are pretty much reliant on the viewer's opinion. Even taking pictures might not convey how the neighborhood is etc.

To actually line up an apartment before arrival is almost always done through an agency or somebody who knows somebody, say through the employer. If not getting something through the employer or an agency, nearly all people would have to come and stay in some kind of temporary accommodation (hotel, hostel, Airbnb) until they find something long term. Some landlords are more likely to rent to an incoming foreigner, sight unseen, if they know they have a good job and they are renting a furnished place for a very high price. Rent increases are limited in Germany for unfurnished places, not so for furnished ones. Many furnished places have a very minimum of basic furniture and charge 3 times the normal rent. This might be a consideration if one is only coming for a few months but for longer term it is usually a huge waste of money.

Only problem I can see is, as an ex Landlord speaking every day the apartment is empty it is losing money for the landlord and they will want to occupy the place as soon as possible.

I would not want to rent out to anyone without seeing them in person. Also what one person sees it as perfect for them it might not be right for you, the apartment itself or even the neighbourhood.

I would wait till you can come over and stay in an a few AirBnB's to see what area best suits you and search from thereon.

As one of the very few landlords who has rented out to people who aren't in Germany yet, I would strongly suggest video conferences and video viewings!

beppi wrote:

As one of the very few landlords who has rented out to people who aren't in Germany yet, I would strongly suggest video conferences and video viewings!

wow is that really a thing??? Never heard that people do that but that is a good idea! Especially in times like these that method is quite beneficial!