Following your life partner in Costa Rica

Hi everyone,

If love can move mountains, it also makes people move abroad, in countries such as Costa Rica.
Following your life partner in a country with different customs and rules is an act of absolute trust and may require a period of adaptation.
This is why we would like to have your opinion to answer these questions and thus help future expats who are preparing to follow the same track by moving in Costa Rica.

What preparation do you have, or do you advise, to do before your departure in order to make the best of this experience?

What challenges have you faced? In what areas (finding a job, socialization, well-being)? How did you overcome them?

What is the outcome of this experience for you? Would you do it again if the opportunity arose?

Has your relationship with your beloved changed since your expatriation in Costa Rica? Do you have any advice on this subject?

If your expatriation involved children, how did you manage to maintain a family balance in the face of this life change?

Thanks for your contribution!

Loïc

Following...

My parents are Costa Rican, so Ive been to the country many times.  Ive been so much that it feels like home.  I definitely plan on retiring there, however I have been so focused on the development of our land there, that I have put investing in a relationship domestically to the back seat.  I just didnt trust that it would be fair to ask someone to leave everything they know to be part of an expat life unless that was part of their intended journey as well.  It would be interesting to read the responses of people that have been through it.  Ive watched my uncle (native Costa Rican) move his American wife down there... it didnt go well.

All I will say is that I've seen and heard of quite a few American wives of American men not liking Costa Rica and the marriage has broken up. I've seen it happen in at least 4-5 cases I know of but how truly common it is, I can't say.

Sometimes the wife just doesn't like the lifestyle in Costa Rica, sometimes it's bugs, sometimes she misses her family, sometimes she wants to keep working at her US job, etc etc.

And of course not all men adjust to life here either. And many couples move back, together.

I agree with the "type A" personality theory of Costa Rica: that people who are very used to things being done logically, professionally, responsibly etc, may not be able to adjust to living in Costa Rica. Because things are often not done logically, professionally, responsibly etc here. In some cases an American can never truly understand why Ticos do the things they do, on a personal level and at a government level.

If one can just "accept" that they have their own ways of doing things, then one may love it here. If not, one may hate it. Just my 2 cents.

If someone wants to "drag their spouse along" to Costa Rica and that spouse is not enthusiastic about going, I would caution you that it could ruin your relationship and cause a break up.